cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering G7 X Mark III when used as USB webcam?

adayley
Contributor

Question: Can the GX 7 Mark III be powered by something other than the battery when the USB-C port is connected to the computer as a webcam?

 

Setup:

  • Laptop has the EOS Webcam Utility installed.
  • GX 7 Mark III is connected via its USB-C port to a USB port on the laptop.
  • The Mark III is operating correctly as a webcam.
  • The Mark III cannot be powered using its USB-C port because that port is the video data interface.

Is there a product or way to power the Mark III so the battery does not run out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION


@adayley wrote:

@John_ wrote:

Might have to chalk this one up to an error on the Canon website?


We shall see how my Mark III reacts when the generic "dummy battery" power adapter gets here in a couple of days.


The Canon website is NOT in error!

 

I ordered this power adapter from Amazon: Glorich ACK-DC110 Replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Canon PowerShot 

 

1.JPG

 

It arrived today. I took just a few minutes from my busy day quickly check how it works for the PowerShot GX 7 Mark III.

 

It powers the camera while the battery compartment door is still open!

 

So, now I only have to worry about mounting the camera in a way that is stable while the battery compartment door is open to allow the cord to enter.

 

[link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screengrab]

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

shadowsports
Elite

Greetings,

 

Canon AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC110 | Canon Online Store|Canon Online Store

 

Compatibility

-- Refurbished PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- Refurbished PowerShot G7 X Mark III Black
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Refurbished
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark II Video Creator Camera Kit
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark III Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G7 X
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G9 X Silver
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.1) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~Pixel6 ~R5C On Order

Thank you for the reference. I rejected that solution earlier in my research because it appears to require that the battery compartment door remain open while this adapter is in use. I guess that is the trade off in order to power the camera.


@adayley wrote:
Thank you for the reference. I rejected that solution earlier in my research because it appears to require that the battery compartment door remain open while this adapter is in use. I guess that is the trade off in order to power the camera.


I ordered this power adapter setup: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KCB6TS

 

Now to figure out how to have a stable mount for the camera while the battery door is open. The door and the mount point are very close together.

The battery door will close, as usual, there is a little flap on the battery compartment that folds open for the cable to pass through it and allows the camera to mount flush

I saw that flap in review videos of the Mark II. The Mark III does not have that little flap.

The camera will not turn on unless the battery door is closed....here is a list of compatibility for that adapter off the Canon website and I do not see the Mark III:

 

-- Refurbished PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- Refurbished PowerShot G7 X Mark III, Black
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Refurbished
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark II Video Creator Camera Kit
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark III Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G7 X
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II, Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G9 X Silver
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X

It is there. Highlighted in red

@John_ wrote:

The camera will not turn on unless the battery door is closed....here is a list of compatibility for that adapter off the Canon website and I do not see the Mark III:

 

-- Refurbished PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- Refurbished PowerShot G7 X Mark III, Black
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Refurbished
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark II Video Creator Camera Kit
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X Mark II
-- PowerShot G7 X Mark III Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G7 X
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II, Black
-- PowerShot G9 X Black
-- Refurbished PowerShot G9 X Mark II Silver
-- PowerShot G9 X Silver
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Black
-- PowerShot SX740 HS Silver
-- PowerShot G5 X


 

Ahhh oh yes I see it. Still, I do not see how it will work if you cannot close the battery door? The manual mentions a USB Power Adapter PD-E1


@John_ wrote:

Ahhh oh yes I see it. Still, I do not see how it will work if you cannot close the battery door? The manual mentions a USB Power Adapter PD-E1


Can't use that adapter and USB for video at the same time. Maybe the only way to externally power the Mark III and use it as a webcam is to have the video come through HDMI. That way USB can provide the power.

Announcements