cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not install the scanner driver" MF227dw

phazex3375
Apprentice

MF227dw has been great for windows 7 as a network printer and scanner. After moving to windows 10 all printer functions work fine but I cannot figure out a way to get my scanner driver installed. Windows won't even recognize a scanner is available for use. Have tried a few things including disabling windows ability to choose a default printer as well as installing and uninstalling the toolbox software several times. Any help would be appreciated

scanner error.png

47 REPLIES 47

sasser
Apprentice

Hello there;
You can solve your problem by performing the following steps in order.

1- Remove canon printers from devices printers section.
2- Add the program, uninstall the printer driver and delete the Canon Toolbox program, if any.
3. Delete the C: \ program files \ canon folder.
4- Delete the folder c: \ windows \ system32 \ spool \ driver
5- Extract the updated driver zip file you downloaded to the c: \ drivers \ canon directory.
6- Install from this directory. select the pcl6 driver and scan driver when installing.

Good luck with.

hsharmeet
Apprentice

It is Simple

Move the executed file of Downloaded drivers into C:\drivers or create a folder "drivers" in C: and put the folder in it.

change the lonk name to simple like "1"

now install the drivers.

hsharmeet
Apprentice
I has the problem been solved?

hsharmeet
Apprentice
Sometimes you need to run the aap by clicking right click on it>run as an administrator

hsharmeet
Apprentice
*app

5n0wb1rD
Apprentice

I had trouble getting my printer to be recognized by the install software at all. Somewhere on the web someone had suggested checking router settings.  I accessed the router and did find a list of devices listed by IP address. It turned out a phone and this printer (Imageclass MF269dw)  were labelled as computers. The phone had been able to connect even though labelled wrong but when I changed the printer from "computer" to "printer" on the router my printer recognition issues were solved. I have Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop.

rayhinton
Apprentice

Just wanted to add on my reply, in case anyone finds it helpful. I went through pretty much every recommendation in this thread and still could not get the scanner driver to install. Finally, I did two things, and I wish I'd tested them separately so I knew what changed, but, well, I figure there is an easy order if you want to try one at a time!

1. Install the Scanner application for your device.
    1. I have the imageClass D570 printer/scanner, and in the Software section of the downloads area, there is a program called "MF Scan Utility Ver.1.10.0.0".
    2. I downloaded it, removed all the past drivers and printer utilities that I'd installed in previous attempts, then installed this MF Scan Utility program.
  2. Update Windows.
    1. Not sure if this is really the problem, but if you talk to a tech, it doesn't hurt to say that your OS is completely up to date.

I was inspired by this 2011 post on the Microsoft answers forum! Just the third line where they said "installed the printer... software". I hadn't thought there might be a separate scan utility, but sure enough, there is.

Yeesh, getting that installed took way more time than it should, but, it works a charm now. I hope this saves someone some time!

I went through the suggestions in this post and none of them worked for me. This is what finally worked:

In the unpacked driver package, there is the following file:

DRIVERS\x64\misc\DellDrv.exe

I ran that as administrator, then I ran

DRIVERS\x64\Setup.exe

as I had done previously, and it finally worked.

Apparently, removing the device from my list of printers was not sufficient to really clear things out.

Announcements