cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF8380Cdw Scan-to-email suddenly stopped working - error 806

sluebke1982
Contributor

The old "scan to email suddenly stopped working on a Canon MFP" thread. I need some help!

I work in IT and had this exact same issue occur a few months ago. We bent over backwards to fix it, and eventually discovered that clearing the "domain name" and "host name" fields in the TCP/IP settings resolved the problem. We had tried everything we could think of, read all the articles online, etc.

Now, we are having it again at a different client, same exact issue. Scan to email worked for years, then suddenly it stopped working. We've tried the same fix and everything else, and can't get it resolved. I am out of ideas. I'm re-reading articles and getting nowhere.

Model is Canon 8380cdw. I have not upgrade the firmware b/c I haven't done that before and want to make sure I know what I'm doing so that I don't brick a critcial MFP.

We're using Office 365 direct send, so the MX endpoint address (i.e. contoso-com.mail.protection.outlook.com) with a dummy email address over port 25 and not authentication. This works fine so long as you send within your domain and have your public IP added to your SPF record, which we do. We've tried Gmail, Mailgun, and have confirmed via SMTP testers that we can send messages to the company employees. I've run packet captures during the scan and there is no traffic from the MFP. I highly suspect the scan job isn't even getting outside the machine.

Please, any ideas???

20 REPLIES 20

Patrice
Whiz

Hi sluebke1982.

I will be glad to assist you.

First, it is recommended that you update the firmware of the printer. In addition to fixes for network printing and security, there are other vulnerabilities that the update provides protection against, such as the KRACK vulnerability. If you do not feel comfortable performing this update, then please call our Enterprise & Desktop Solutions Divisions at 1-866-261-9362 or 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). 

Regarding the scan to email issue, please verify if you are using two-factor authentication, as this may cause an issue. It is also recommended to check if there have been any updates to block third-party apps. If none of these suggestions resolve the error, please reply with the exact error code that you receive when you attempt to scan to an email.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Can you clearly explain the process of updating the firmware? I do not want to brick the MFP.

Can you send me the update steps, please?

Hi sluebke1982.

Please follow the instructions at the link below to update the firmware:

Firmware Update Instructions

The firmware update can be downloaded from the Firmware tab at the link below:

MF8380Cdw - Drivers & Downloads

If you need any assistance with the firmware update, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I updated the firmware successfully, and also performed a factory reset. It's not fixed. I tried putting the MFP on DHCP to rule out any human error in manually settings its IP information, and it refused to communicate with the DHCP server. It will only work if given an IP manually. Perhaps something with the NIC has gone bad and is affecting scanning to email. Although, it does print over the network just fine. At this poiint, we're going to patch the MFP directly to the firewall to eliminate  other network equipment as the issue, and also take out a spare MFP and test that it can scan to email. At that point, we would have the client replace the device.

Hi sluebke1982.

Do you receive the #806 error?

I look forward to your reply.

Yes, I received error 806 every time.

I also do not see any traffic coming from the MFP during an email scan. It seems like the scan isn't even getting out of the MFP.

Hi Sluebke1982.

It does sound like printer communication is being blocked on the network. Please try initializing the network settings of the printer, and then reconnecting the printer to the network. Please follow the instructions at the link below to initialize the network settings:

Initializing the System Management Settings

It is also recommended that you try using another email account and verify if you notice the same issue.

If the issue persists, I will have to recommend that you call in and speak with our telephone support group. Please call 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Announcements