cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw - setting up the default paper tray

geeaitch
Contributor

Just to level set, my printer comes with 2 trays - the top one is the multi-purpose tray which looks like a slot in the front of the pronter where one feeds papers of different sizes I suppose. The bottom one is a paper cassette called "A4/Plain 2".

My printer keeps selecting the multi-purpose tray as the default  for print jobs. This requires that I feed in paper manually - not cool. I would like to change this to the tray #1 ( lower tray) but cant figure out how.

For default preferences, I have selected - auto tray selection by the printer but this does not seem to work. I cant figure out how else to set this up. I've spent quite a bit of time on the home screen -> paper settings option

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Till then I'll continue research this ....

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

Hi,

this was so frustrating but your method works, thank you so much!

bretgreen
Apprentice

Very disappointed, indeed.  Why on Earth woud a company in business this long have a default tray other than the one you dont have to feed manually feed.  Are you kidding me?  Having to spend even 1 minute on this issue is absurd.  I will try and then I am immediately returning this product and will forever eliminate Canon from future purchases.

ssllii
Apprentice

I just installed this printer. The first test print went fine from my Windows 10 PC, it automatically used the paper tray.

Then I fed one sheet of paper thru the manual feed, (a horrible design by itself but that is not the point here!) printed fine.

Now my printer defaults to the manual feed and of course, there was no paper.

I have to go to paper settings, make the tray "LTR/Plain 1", can't be any other type of paper, then it prints ok.  Canon literally matches to the EXACT paper, not just size but type and weight of the paper material!    Amazing!

I know I have read plenty of reviews that this printer is not user friendly but now I am experiencing it!  

maroonhokie
Apprentice

I have the same issue.  I set Tray 1 to ON and the Multi-Function tray to OFF, but it still prompts for paper for the multi tray every time I print from my desktop.  Works fine from my Chromebook.  Please help!  So frustrating!

paytonbaldridge
Apprentice

I had this same issue and realized it was due to a software issue. For my wifes computer I used the installation disk and installed everything. When I went up to my pc I forgot the CD so simply downloaded the software from the website.  For some reason I experienced issues never being able to get Tray 1 selected instead of the multipurpose tray. Once I realized my wifes computer was not having this issue I took a look at the printer preferences and saw a completely different menu than what I was seeing on my pc. At this point I took the CD and re-installed all the software directly from it and all the issues went away. Not sure what Canon did differently between their downloaded software and the CD software, but they certainly didn't get it right. If  you didn't install from CD I highly suggest doing so and see if that fixes your issue. 

Before anyone asks, yes, I'm absolutely certain I downloaded the correct software directly from Canon the first time around. 

patterf
Apprentice

This worked for me as I was able to print from tray one. 

From the home screen go to 

1. Menu

2. Function settings

3. Printer

3a. printer settings

3b. on the top you will select "Prioritize driver settings when printing

3c. Both multipurpose tray and draw one both should be on.

I found draw one off(actually my wife found this) I give her cudos!!

Radsicx
Apprentice

@Canon, this is insane. You're supposed to be a top printer producer, but instead, you put out products that weren't tested even once. What infuriates your users here, listed:

1. It's nonsense that the multi-purpose tray is set as default

2. Your product manual doesn't have the answer and yet your support forwards all questions there (really helpful)

3. You simply cannot change the default tray from the printer

4. You cannot set the sleep time on this device

It feels like this thing was designed by an engineer who hasn't printed even once.

I really needed to go to the gym to let off steam and not throw this ******* out the window.

Please, respect your customers.

DouglasPatete
Apprentice

I had the same issue. I agree, the instructions are not very helpful. What worked for me was to set the seetings on the pringter itself for Tray 1 to use Plain Paper 1. The default was Plain Paper 2. On my computer, the printer preferences were set to plain paper. Apparently, the choices of lightweight paper and heavyweight paper tell the printer to use Paper 2 and Paper 3. Its quite possible these mean different things, but making this change made the difference for me.

DerekvB
Apprentice

Eureka!  I just called Canon support today and found out how to fix the problem of making Tray 2 the default tray:

1) Go to Paper Settings

2) Click on the lower printer (mine says 1 LTR Plain2)

3) Press LTR

now, here's the trick ...

4) scroll UP and you'll see LTR Plain 1 - select that)

Close the window, go forth and sin no more!

HotSnapZ
Apprentice

Make sure you UI access is on and access your Printer via IP address.  By adjusting my settings here in the highlighted area and applying changes, it solved this frustrating problem for me.  I also turned off the multipurpose tray in all the Menus/Paper Settings listed in many other responses.

Canon_Win10_Tray_Issue.png

Announcements