cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw - setting up the default paper tray

geeaitch
Contributor

Just to level set, my printer comes with 2 trays - the top one is the multi-purpose tray which looks like a slot in the front of the pronter where one feeds papers of different sizes I suppose. The bottom one is a paper cassette called "A4/Plain 2".

My printer keeps selecting the multi-purpose tray as the default  for print jobs. This requires that I feed in paper manually - not cool. I would like to change this to the tray #1 ( lower tray) but cant figure out how.

For default preferences, I have selected - auto tray selection by the printer but this does not seem to work. I cant figure out how else to set this up. I've spent quite a bit of time on the home screen -> paper settings option

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Till then I'll continue research this ....

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

Darius
Whiz

Hello geeaitch.

If you haven't already done so, set the default paper source in the MF644Cdw's operation panel menus. 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-basicope-papers_pset-psize_ptype-e...

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi

Thx for the response. I found that one has to choose LTR as source as opposed to A4 which is what I was choosing. Once I did that, it is correctly using the bottom tray.

Thanks

-gh

I have the same issue. None of the above works.

Up till now this printer is the worst, touchscreen is working very bad as well and it always selects the MP tray and asks to confrim it's loaded with A4.

If it doesn't work like it should, I'll advise my company to stop using these.

For over a year my MF644CDW printed fine from one computer wirelessly, but gave the "Error Load Paper" message when printing from a second printer, so I knew the problem was not the printer itself. After trying every trick and tip in this and a couple of other forum threads, one tip solved the problem. When I installed the printer on the second computer, I did so by searching for the printer then letting the computer set it up. That meant that most likely a Microsoft driver was used. The printer preferences boxes were different but essentially allowed for similar settings so I assumed it should work. However none of the settings eliminated the error message. So, I removed the printer and installed the drivers from the CD that came with the printer. Voila! The printer now prints perfectly with no errors and the preferences settings boxes are identical between the two computers.

hagop
Apprentice

MF644cdw - setting up the default paper tray is not working - I have the same problem as described before.

I followed up your instructions to set the tray as default  - but still does not work !!!

This is extremely frustrating - I have been trying to solve this for several months - and still not resolved 😞 😞 

Please provide other solutions that may cause this not to work.

Hi

These are the steps I took

- Hit Home on console

- Select "Paper Settings"

- Select "LTR/Plain 2"

That was it!

I hope this works for you. If not, I'm guessing that your printer needs a "firmware" update. I would reach out to customer service to figure this out.

All the best.

To Canon Tech Support,

Clearly the selection of the lower tray as default  (on MF644cdw) is not functioning well as evidenced by the few posts on this thread. Why can't you guys debug this issue and help people out rather than point to documentation which doesn't appear to be very helpful. Eventually , I think Canon should issue a patch to make this straight-forward. It is clearly a dissatifier for the product.

Thanks

-gh

OH - I forgot to mention that in your Printer preferences (Windows 10) , for the "Paper Source" preference , ensure that "Automatically Select" is chosen.  This will ensure that the printer default is used.

Announcements