cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644CDW scan to e-mail issue

dhacke
Contributor

I have searched the forum and tried to use the solutions that other people implemented but to no avail. I have tested both an Hotmail account and a Google account, but neither works (and the error message that prints is just "error").

Let's go with Hotmail, since I know Google has higher security protocols. 

I have a color imageclass MF644Cdw running in a Windows 10.

If I go to here:

http://192.168.1.175/sendsupport_email.html

I can enter the email address and SMTP settings.

• Hotmail SMTP server name: smtp.live.com
  • Hotmail SMTP user name: your Hotmail account
  • Hotmail SMTP password: your Hotmail password

It looks like some users have had success adjusting the port:

• Hotmail SMTP port: 25 or 465

But how do I enter that? The interface does not give me the option to do so. Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

Darius
Whiz

Hi, dhacke.

The port settings for SMTP may be found in the menus on the printer itself.  The menu map to it is:

Top > Setting Menu List > Preferences > Network > TCP/IP SEttings > Port Number Settings > SMTP

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for guiding me towards the setting. I found the SMTP setting...but I am still unable to email scans directly from the MF644CDW. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi again dhacke.

At this point I can only recommend reviewing everything on the printer as well as the email service to ensure both are configured correctly for the Scan to eMail process. Information on the printer's settings and the Scan to eMail process may be found at the following link:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-scan-basicope-mail_send_save_srv_f...

Hi dhacke & Darius!

I solved my issue (same) after reading the other thread:  https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/Issues-with-scanning-to-email-MF644cdw/m-p/291614...

Basically, follow the same steps to set up an APP Password from my Gmail account on my MF644Cdw as well.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

(Doing these 8 steps from Google was a breeze only took a minute)

Then only took another minute to update the password in printer's portal Settings > TX Settings > Email/I-Fax Settings > SMTP Authentication with that 16-digit APP Password. 

Restart the printer and viola!!!  "Scan to Email" works like a charm now!  WooHoo!!!

Hi DangerChan,

I *really* appreciate you following up on this. I have taken the steps you suggested (both creating an APP pasword on my Gmail account and then entering that into the printer portal) but I still am unable to send a scan via email.

I know receive a #753 error code (see below). I do not think this is a direct cause as I have tried to send a scan since doing the above both via wifi and direct lan connection. I'm open to ideas and suggestions!

Thanks again.

Cause
A TCP/IP error (Socket or Select error, etc.) occurred when sending an e-mail or sending a fax from the Remote Fax client machine.
Remedy
Check that the network cables and connectors are properly connected. If the machine still does not operate normally, turn the main power OFF, and then back ON. (See "Main Power and Energy Saver Key.")

Perhaps my issue is that I am not entering the password in the correct place.

DangerChan, you stated that you entered the password in the portal here:

Settings > TX Settings > Email/I-Fax Settings > SMTP Authentication with that 16-digit APP Password. 

Is this accessed through the web interface (192.168.1.xxx)?

If so, I can see:

Settings > TX Settings > Scan and Send Settings > Email tab

but there is no SMTP Authentication area.

I can however go to  192.168.1.xxx/sendsupport_login.html

and enter the SMTP Server Settings there for any given email address.

Ok...I figured it out. When I logged into the portal it was defaulting to "General User Mode" instead of "System Manager Mode"

Toggling it to the latter granted access to the window you mentioned.

And after a couple of attempts to get the password to stick, it worked!!!

Thank you again 🙂

Yes, that's right.  Once you are in "System Manager Mode" through the web portal, you can update the SMTP port through Network Setting > Port Number Settings tab (since I used Gmail SMTP and enabled TLS, so I changed the default SMTP port from 25 to 587.

And then since my Gmail has 2-factor authentication turned on, so I had to use that article to create a Google(Gmail) APP Password (aka the 16-digit application specific password) for setting this Email/I-Fax Settings(Scan to Email) in Canon.

Glad you got it working.  It's such a useful feature 🙂

on mine everything is set up via web browser but when i choose scan on physical printer i am getting a message to sign into LDAP not sure why please assist

Announcements