cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF236n will not scan to pc

waterbound
Apprentice

Everything else works. The PC recognizes the printer and the printer sees the PC, but I can't scan from the printer. I keep getting "an error occured" message. However I can go to the PC, find the printer in devices and remotely scan from the PC. latest driver is installed.

11 REPLIES 11

James_C

Hi waterbound,

In order to properly assist you, I will just need to know what operating system you are running?  Additionally, is the unit being connected via USB or via ethernet cable?

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Windows 10 and USB.

I am having the same issue as waterbound.. I am on Ubunut 16.04... Printer detects the computer but scanner does not

Hi Atheros167.

The driver package for the Linux operating system  includes code components that were not written by Canon USA or its affiliates.  In addition, Linux exists in many different versions, and the driver cannot be tested against all of them.  Thus, Canon USA is not able to provide a support for this driver software. 

It is recommended that you contact the Ubuntu 16.04 support group for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

James_C

Hi waterbound,

In order for us to better assist you, we will need some additional information.  Do you mind answering a few questions so we can get a better picture of your situation?

1.  Can a copy be made?

2.  Did you install using the disk or download the software from Canons website?

3.  Can you scan using the steps when you click HERE?

4.  What operating system are you running?

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

I have the exact same problem as Waterbound:
1) I can make a copy
2) I installed software from the Canon website
3) Scan steps mentioned do not help
4) I am using Windows 10

Hi DavidMc.

Are you able to start the scan from the computer by following the steps at this link:

Scanning a Document (MF Scan Utility)

If the scan is successful, please turn the printer off and restart the computer. Once the computer is back on, turn on the printer, and then try to start the scan from the control panel again. If you continue to experience an issue, and the printer is connected to the network, please verify that the scanner is selected in the network scanner selector by following the steps below:

1.  Click  in the system tray.

2. Select the check box for the machine, and click [OK].

If the scan is unsuccessful, please reply with the exact error message that you receive.

We look forward to your reply. If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

When I attempt the Scanning a Document step, I receive the following message even though the USB cable is connected and the printer/scanner is on:

Cannot communicate with the scanner.

The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off.

Check the scanner status and try again.

Scanner driver will be terminated.

Thank you for your reply.

Please uninstall and reinstall the drivers by following the instructions below:

1. Disconnect the printer from the computer.

2. Type Control Panel into the Windows search bar, and then open Control Panel > Devices and Printers.

3. Select the MF Scan Utility, and then click Uninstall. Follow the prompts to uninstall the files.

4. Select the MF230 Series, and then click Uninstall. Follow the prompts to uninstall the files.

5. Restart the computer.

Once the computer is back on, and leaving the USB cable disconnected, click the links below to download and reinstall the drivers and software:

MF230SeriesMFDriverV2175W64usEN.exe

win-mfscanutility-v1900.exe

Please restart the computer after the files have been reinstalled. Once the computer is back on, reconnect the printer to the computer, wait a few minutes, and then scan a document.

If the issue persists, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Announcements