cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF216n prints fine but will not scan

ronjon
Apprentice

Running on Windows 10 Home. Device has no issues printing so I don't think this is a physical connection issue. I have removed drivers and toolbox, uninstalled device, and reinstalled but scanner is still not working.

If I try scan from the device control panel it seems to hang up at the Confirm Destination screen and eventually stops and displays An Error Occurred.

Sometimes when I try this it gets to the confirm destination page and offers the choice of my system or B&W Scan but neither choice will allow selection, the processing data light flashes, then the error message again. 

If I try and scan from the Toolbox ulitilty, the pages in the feed will go thru the scanner and it appears to be working but the progress bar in the program will freeze up part way thru and nothing further happens. 

Occasionally it will seem to complete, even to the point of place a new scan file on the computer but when the file is opened the pages are blank. This final result is rare and has only happened twice in all the times I have tried scanning. 

I have reviewed all the troubleshooting options I could find for this problem and nothing seems to be working. Any last suggestions before I give up on this scanner?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Ronjon,

From what you are describing it looks like a connection issue. Scanning would need a better connection than printing so there can be situations where you can print but you can't scan. If the bar sometimes fills up and sometimes the bar does not even process, it does look like there is an issue with the scanner connection or there is something blocking the scanner software.

If you are connecting to the computer via USB, you can try switching the connection to another port and you can avoid plugging the printer into any USB hubs. If the printer is on a network, you can try unplugging your router from the power

for 5 seconds and then plugging the scanner back in. Once the network is back up, you can try scanning again to see if the scan completes.

If you are still unable to scan, we would need some additional information to assist further. If you can reply to this message with the information below, we can provided additional assistance. Fora a more immediate response, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666.

1. Are you connecting the scanner directly to your computer with a USB cable or are you connecting the scanner to a router?
  2. When the scan does not complete, do you get a code number withthe scanner error? If so, what code number do you get?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements