cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to resolve a false paper jam message on my Canon MF8580CDW

lboldrick
Apprentice

It says there is a paper jam in Drawer 1.  But there isn't.  I just hit OK and it thinks for a while and then prints one more page and pretends there is another paper jam.  Any ideas???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi lboldrick.

Please follow the instructions below to check for any paper jams in the machine:

1. Remove the paper that is loaded in the tray. 

2. Remove the jammed paper in the tray.  

(1) Gently pull out the paper.

(2) Close the tray.

b_Che105.gif

3. Remove the jammed document inside the tray.

(1) Hold the paper drawer with both hands, and pull it out gently.

b_Che106.gif

(2) Hold the green knobs, and push down the part shown in the figure.

b_Che107.gif

(3) Gently pull out the paper.

b_Che108.gif

IMPORTANT:
Do not touch the rubber pad
Touching it may deteriorate print quality.

b_Che109.gif

4. Hold the green knobs, and return the part shown in the figure back in place. 

(1) Return the part shown in the figure back in place until it clicks.

b_Che110.gif

5. Set the paper drawer. 

6. When the screen shown below is displayed, use [  ] / [  ] to select <Yes>, and press [  ].

b_dis407.gif

If the issue remains, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tiffany

Hi Iboldrick!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks and have a great day!

One computer is running 8.1 Pro and the other is running 8.1.  Both computers have the same problem with the false paper jam.  Printer has been perfect for over a year - this just started 24 hours ago.  Very difficult to print documents!!

Hi lboldrick.

Please follow the instructions below to check for any paper jams in the machine:

1. Remove the paper that is loaded in the tray. 

2. Remove the jammed paper in the tray.  

(1) Gently pull out the paper.

(2) Close the tray.

b_Che105.gif

3. Remove the jammed document inside the tray.

(1) Hold the paper drawer with both hands, and pull it out gently.

b_Che106.gif

(2) Hold the green knobs, and push down the part shown in the figure.

b_Che107.gif

(3) Gently pull out the paper.

b_Che108.gif

IMPORTANT:
Do not touch the rubber pad
Touching it may deteriorate print quality.

b_Che109.gif

4. Hold the green knobs, and return the part shown in the figure back in place. 

(1) Return the part shown in the figure back in place until it clicks.

b_Che110.gif

5. Set the paper drawer. 

6. When the screen shown below is displayed, use [  ] / [  ] to select <Yes>, and press [  ].

b_dis407.gif

If the issue remains, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

There is never any jammed paper!!!! It just says there is.

I tried to ignore this post because I found no paper jammed anywhere.  But I finally gave in and started following the directions specifically and found that the bottom piece of paper in the drawer was folded under slightly - apparently that was upsetting the machine!  Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately you missed the point. This is a problem I have had for several months.

There IS NO PAPER JAM: THE PAPER JAM ERROR MESSAGE IS FALSE.

Here's how it goes:  The red error light blinks, a paper jam error message appears in the window, I pull out the paper tray enouigh to see that there is indeed no jam, push the tray back in, and printing proceeds.

What is happening now is that this false paper jam message is appearing more frequently, both among print jobs and more such errors per job.. Example: yesterday I was printing two handouts for visitors:

The first gave the message 4 times on a 14-page duplex document (1page -> 2 pages).

The second gave the message every other page on a one-page document of which I was trying to print 10 copies.

Unless this problem can be fixed I will have to junk this printer and buy another one -- probably not a Canon.

Your help at Canon SUCKS !!!!!!

The images aren't showing up, so I have no idea what parts you're referring to. Problem not solved for me.

ck040404
Apprentice

hi.  I read with interest the tips on clearing a jam.

I have basically torn up and down, front to back.  I think I may have a sliver of a previous jam, but I can't find it and am at loose ends, so to speak.  Im pretty handy and I can look for 20 until I am frustrated.  This was my 3rd go. Rebooted many times.  I would be fine to run as many papers through to try to catch it but there is no override.

I am on a chromebook.  I print just fine.

Is there an override.  Do I need tweezers, help!

I do have a secondary issue.  Perhaps someone in my household jiggered with  my router (but I don't think so as that would require reading a manual) and the IP address works most of the time.  The rest of the time I have to get off my perch and remind my canon that nothing has changed-- it seems to get one digit off. Ideas?

Announcements