cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Not Being Able to Scan and Email When Using Gmail

TTTBBB333
Apprentice

I've spent the past few hours trying to figure out why my scanner wasn't emailing files and was receiving an error.  It worked in the past but suddenly stopped. The email set up on my printer is a gmail acccount.  My model is MF445dw, but I imagine this would be applicable to all printers.  After being on hold for about an hour, Canon explained and fixed the issue. I thought I'd share it:

- Go to Security

- Go to "Less secure app access" and turn it to "On"

- You will get an email from Gmail saying there is a security issue.  Click on the button to confirm that you made the change to the setting.

Easy enough! Wish I had that earlier.

Apparently, Google will reset this setting automatically every now and then or will send you an email about security issues and, if you ask it to correct the issue, it will turn off the "less secure apps" setting, so you may have to do this every now any again  (which explains why it suddenly stopped working). 

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is widely known to person's in the IT industry.  Not so much to the average personn trying to use GMAIL for SMTP relay on their printer.  If you aren't using the account consistently, Google can and will disable it without notifying you.

I have not tested GMAIL on my MF644Cdw, but imagine the 445 and 644 are similar.  I would recommend enabling 2 factor authentication on your GMAIL acct for security.  Have you tried using an App Password?  This might eliminate the need for less secure apps alltogether.  It's possible the printer's firmware will not support it, but its worth trying.  

Sign in with App Passwords - Gmail Help (google.com)

Note: When 2FA is enabled, you no longer have the ability to use the "Less Secure Apps" option.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mikeipp
Apprentice

What can we do now that google has sunset this feature?  The will no longer support "less secure apps" starting May 20222 in Gmail

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

In my post, you'll see I mention the App Password option, which is what Google is also recommending.  Anyone who is not using 2FA is gambling with their security.

Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mikeipp
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I've tried two different mail servers and I get no email from the printer. Are there logs somewhere I can look at to see why it's failing?

Announcements