cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imageCLASS MF634Cdw and imageCLASS MF644Cdw Printers Will Not Wake From Sleep Mode

larsnett
Apprentice

We originally purchased an imageCLASS MF634Cdw and recently added a second imageCLASS MF644Cdw printer.  We were hoping the newer imageCLASS MF644Cdw printer would not have the same issue but now we have two imageCLASS printers with the same issue.

Let’s focus our attention on resolving the issue with the configuration of the MF634Cdw printer -

1.The printer is connected wirelessly to the network

2. Intermittently the Canon imageCLASS MF634Cdw printer will not wake up from sleep mode when a print job is submitted from our MacBook computers.

3. Intermittently the scanner will not wake when using the “Canon MF Scan Utility” - the utility says it is unable to connect to the scanner on the MF634Cdw printer.

Technical Environment -

1. The computer is a MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur version 11.2

2. The MF634Cdw printer firmware is up to date as of 02/09/2021

3. Installed Canon printer and scanner drivers on the MacBook Pro -

o MF Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.11.6

o Scanner Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V2.15.6

4. The MF634Cdw is connected directly to a wall outlet

5. In an attempt to resolve the issue I have configured the router/printer both ways using DHCP and a Static IP address with the same intermittent issue

6. The router is an ASUS RT-AC87U with the latest firmware installed

7. When the MF634Cdw does not wake from the sleep mode, I am able to open the printer's Remote UI through a Web Browser on the computer using the printer’s IP address

8. Usually if we manually reboot the MF634Cdw and MF644Cdw printers the print jobs will complete and the scanner is visible to the “Canon MF Scan Utility”

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My MF644Cdw will be here day after tomorrow.  I'll be putting it through its paces and will let you know the results.

I'll likely connect mine via ethernet, but I'll see what happens when the NIC goes into deep sleep.

This is a long read:

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is s... - Page 8 - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am more inclined to use the printer's settings to configure desired behavior.

Additional options might include setting a period where the machine goes to sleep and wakes:

Changing the Period of Time before Entering Sleep Mode (manual.canon)

Also note that in order for a device to receive ECO certification, it has to enter a sleep state after 8 hrs if its not used.  

I see a fair share of printers every day.  Konica Minolta, Image Runners, Brother, HP, etc.  Many of them need to be woken up after they have sat ununsed.  (Example) first print on a Monday morning)  

As I said, I'll be doing testing starting Friday.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello iarsnett,

If you have two models and they are both having the same intermitent wake up issue, it could be caused by a break in network communication. If you are able to get to the remote UI, the network card should be working properly. In this situation, I can suggest leaving the printer on and unpluging the router that is connecting all of the device for about 5 seconds. Once the network is back up, you can try printing again to see if the printer wakes up.

For a situation like this, the realtime feedback of a live agent would really help. I would suggest calling in for support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist.

Scholtengrs
Apprentice

Is there a resolution for this?  I recently replaced a Windows machine with an Apple M1 MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey 12.1.  I never had a problem with my MF644cdw on the Windows machine, but now I'm experiencing the same issue described in this thread and I've taken the same steps as the original poster.  

When I initially add the printer, I can print and scan from it.  But, if I wait until the printer and scanner goes to sleep, attempts to print or scan file to wake it up.  I can connect to the printer remotely via it's web interface and see that the printer and scanner is in sleep mode while the fax is in the ready state, but I still can't print or san from it.  Meanwhile, the old Windows machine has no problem printing and scanning.

I have the latest drivers from Canon -- UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.19.10 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1] and Scanner Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V2.15.9 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1].

I have tried static IP, changing the sleep timer, adding direct mode, and re-initializing the printer and starting over to no avail.  Windows machines have no issues with the Windows drivers, but the MacBook still cannot wake it up.

Scholtengrs
Apprentice

I found a fix.  Uninstall and physically remove the Canon software -- UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.19.10 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1] and Scanner Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V2.15.9 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1] -- from the Applications folder.  Reboot.  Install the printer and let MacOS use its own drivers.  For scanning, use the MacOS native scan option for the printer.  Select System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, select the Canon printer, then the "Scan" tab.

Announcements