cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF642Cdw Asks me to load paper into tray 1 every time I print

dainouye
Apprentice

Every time I try to print to the printer, an error pops up that says "Load Paper. LTR/Plain 1".  I have to manually select the second option to get it to print.  I've tried setting the deflaut paper tray several times, but the error still pops up.  I print from windows and android.  Please help me.  

Thanks

IMG_20210812_085424.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems to be a bit of shared pain out there on this topic of late.  In my case, my wife's new Lenovo Laptop (Win 11) generated this behavior (where the printer wants to use the slot load above the tray and requires one to alter that default at the printer), whereas my Win 10 Desktop did not.  Both running with the printer on the network with a static IP. 

As my fix turned out to be different that what I believe I've see here, thought I'd report it:  Here's the path to my fix, standing at the printer:

Menu\Function Settings\printer\printer settings\prioritize driver\

When you get there, set the setting for the paper drawer to "on," and you may have a fix. 

These printers are reliable and feature laden.  I like ours very much.  But this needs work Cannon.  There seemingly ought to be a setting both immediately available at the Driver or at the Machine -- and they should talk to one another if at all possible, so that a fix in either location works, and doesn't get overridden or countermanded. 

Still, I suppose I should take some satisfaction in once again proving to be the household admin -- after about an hour plus of guessing aimlessly.  Not really what we're looking for here.  Hope this helps somebody else save time. 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

markteach
Contributor
I have exactly the same problem.

Greetings,

There are 2 spots where the default paper size can be selected.  One is one the printer, the other is in the printer driver.  

If you are repeatedly being prompted to select the paper size the default setting in one of these spots doesn't match.  

The easiest way to check on the printer is by using the Webserver, you need to set a access PIN on the printer the first time your access the remotee UI from a web browser.

The second method is in the printer driver itself.  This is accessed by selectiong "Properties" on the printer, which opens the driver.  There you will see selectable preferences.

These should help both of you:

Set up Remote UI access:

Starting Remote UI - Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw / MF741Cdw / MF644Cdw / MF642...

Set Paper Size:

Specifying Paper Size and Type - Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw / MF741Cdw / MF64...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The problem is that after you have set the paper type on both trays, it still prompts you to select which tray you want. 

Settings: Multi tray: selected to envelope, Tray 1: selected to letter size.

Expected behaviour: printing a letter page, the printer should see that tray one is set to letter and automatically select that tray and proceed directly to printing. 

Actual behaviour: printing a letter size document, the printer beeps and prompts you to select which tray, even though you have set both paper types on both trays. 

Please be very specific - your response " The second method is in the printer driver itself.  This is accessed by selectiong "Properties" on the printer, which opens the driver.  There you will see selectable preferences." is far too vague. Specifically, which setting in which menu needs to be configured, and what is the setting? 

From a word document on a pc, it functions as expected. When printing a photo or other document, intermittently forces a manual select, even though the paper size is selected as Letter. 

20221220_084917.jpgScreenshot_20221220-084840_Print Spooler.jpg

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Dainouye,

If checking the driver/menu settings using the post above did not resolve the issue, you can also try downloading and installing the UFR printer driver using the link HERE. The issue you are describing can also be caused if you are not using the correct driver for the printer and it is not sending the correct paper size/paper tray information.

ahoward93
Apprentice

I remoted in and didn't see any mismatch  I still have the same issue.  Where exactly should the change made.

Hello ahoward93,

The changes would need to be made in the driver. The driver settings for the paper type and paper size will need to be adjusted so they match on both the printer and computer. The original image that started the forum post shows that the print request was setup for letter plain paper, but the tray 1 setting on the printer is set to letter sized recycled paper.

This should be listed as the correct answer, so thanks!

The issue isn't with selecting the proper tray, it's figuring out which paper type the driver is sending to the printer, and making sure the printer tray is configured with the same paper type. I had "Plain Paper" selected in the driver, but had my printer tray configured for paper type 2. I switched the tray to paper type 1, and that solved the problem for me.

I don't know why Canon uses different  paper terminology between the driver and the printer. There's nothing telling a user that "Plain Paper" is the same as paper type 1, so that really makes things unnecessarily complicated and frustrating.   

BTW - selecting "Auto Select" as the paper type in the driver, with paper type 1 configured in the printer also worked for me, but "Auto Select" in the driver did not work with paper type 2 in the printer. 

VVolfie
Apprentice

I have the same issue and I just got this today and set it up. My only thought now is to pack it back up and return this as it is not worth the hassle to deal with. And there is literally no help to resolve the issue from anyone. Also, there are better options out there other than Canon.

ahoward93
Apprentice

I think this issue is a windows issue not a canon issue.  I don't have the issue when printing from Ipad it is only my newer windows devices I solved the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.  

Announcements