cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everybody talks about Canon dying but every pro I have seen uses Canon. Why are people claiming it w

Gopalmatt
Apprentice

Everybody is hyping up Sony as the brand that will change the market forever and Canon will die out and stuff but after working as an assistant for multiple pro photographers I saw everyone happily shooting canon 5Dm3's and getting amazing results nobody was going to switch simply because there is no need. It does the job and does it reliably. Currently I'm shooting for the Finnish military and guess what cameras we are using? What a surprise canon 5Dm3's and 5Dm4's I think one out of 50-60 photographers in the army is in the Sony system and a few are on lumix. This death of Canon is atleast in my eyes is no where to be seen the switching to Sony is not happening anywhere in the pro market. Only people that I see switching are those reading specs and numbers instead of actually shooting daily.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I haven't seen anything that says Canon is going down.  They aren't

In business sice 1934, officially since 1937.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

diverhank
Authority

Canon is not dying yet but the pie for Sony and other full frame mirrorless is getting bigger and bigger.  Hence the decision for Canon to jump in with the EOS-R.

The only thing going for Canon is the wide array of excellent lenses...People are reluctant to leave because of that.  Canon bodies are getting pretty old, however.  New models need to be released soon.  Take the 7D Mark II - a few years back it was the supreme action camera but now lags way behind the Nikon D500 (2 seconds RAW buffer versus unlimited for Nikon).  Autofocus is also way behind.  Compared to Sony, granted not in the same category (crop/full frame)  but it's not even in the same ball park with the Sony A9 in fps, buffer and AF accuracy and speed.

Anecdotally, I do know quite a few pros and serious amateurs who have jumped ship.  If I didn't have more than $20K worth of investment in Canon lenses, I'd have jumped ship too.  Out of the 20 BIF photographers friends I have who used Canon - 6 had switched - 2 went to Nikon D500, 4 went to Sony A9...as Sony and Nikon come up with better lenses, more will bail.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The 5D Mark IV is a beast of a camera. If they only give us a firmware update to do 10 or 12bit for video.

versus unlimited for Nikon).  Autofocus is also way behind.  Compared to Sony, granted not in the same category (crop/full frame)  but it's not even in the same ball park with the Sony A9 in fps, buffer and AF accuracy and speed.  [links removed per forum guidelines]

guster57
Apprentice

Hello,

Im new here and just wanted to know if anyone knows how to print offline via usb to laptop from a PIMA TS302

If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated. You can reply to (Removed from Forum as per Forum guidelines)

Hi guster57,

Welcome to the Canon Community Forum! We recommend starting a new thread under the Printer category. That way our friends and fans will be able to assist you with your printer! 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm not, so I guess it's not "everybody" Smiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements