cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced (New) RAW Image File Support Coming To Windows 10 - Build 1903

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Too soon to know what will actually be supported.  Just information of what will be included with build 1903.  But will likely get improved native RAW support in Windows Explorer. (.CR2)

Extends Windows 10 to decode and extract EXIF metadata from Raw image file formats.

RAW image format support

Beginning with this new feature update, Windows 10 will now include improved native support of RAW image File Formats with a new extension, which will bring new features, such as image thumbnails, previews, and camera metadata of previously unsupported raw files in File Explorer.

PLEASE NOTE – thanks for your interest in the Raw Image Extension (Beta). It is currently in development for a future version of Windows and requires Windows Insider build 18323 or later. The Raw Image Extension adds native viewing support for images captured in raw file formats produced by many mid- to high-end digital cameras. By installing the package, you will be able to view thumbnails and metadata of supported raw file formats right in Windows File Explorer or view images in the Photos app. The current version of the extension supports a long list of cameras, however some Raw formats like .CR3, and .GPR are not currently supported at this time.

Article here

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I still think it is a bit premature to call it RAW support. Note that it just looks at previews and metadata, not the actual RAW data.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I still think it is a bit premature to call it RAW support. Note that it just looks at previews and metadata, not the actual RAW data.

Correct. It is just updating the MS codec that was provided in W8, which stopped at the 1D X.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, there have been a lot of folks who questioned and complained (I'm not one of them) that they couldn't preview newer .CR2 RAW file images in explorer with thumbnail preview.  I'm also one who has answered his share of these post referencing the outdated codecs.

I myself have always used DPP or PL so previews were never a problem for me.  However, this is still a small step forward.  At least MS is taking some steps to support updated RAW image preview in Explorer.  For people like us, it doesn't matter, but others will appreciate.it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Apple has full raw support for a lot of cameras* (including the R), though new cameras lag a bit (No RP yet).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208967

*Except my TG-5, sigh.

I had forgotten that Windows doesn't have support for RAW.  I have used the excellent and free IrfanView image viewer for years and it provides fast seamless preview of the RAW files from my 1D M2 1DX and 1DX M2 cameras in File Explorer.  Select from small to extra large icon as the view option in Windows explorer and you get the thumbnail view or double click to bring it up into a full size view/edit window under IrfanView.

It is well written and kept updated with multiple plug-ins available to handle just about any graphics or music file.  Like other such programs, go to the main site to download to avoid issues.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements