cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting with an overlayed guide/reference image?

dreamrthts
Contributor

Hi there. I've done several google searches to absolutely no avail on this topic. I'm looking for a way to accomplish something akin to (in my imagination) inputing an image into the camera to act as the digital grid display would, as a transparent overlay to what I'm seeing through the viewfinder. I could then position myself/camera and the item to align perfectly with a reference image I want to match as closely as possible. In-camera software? Hardware? Other??

I've read about the in-camera dual exposure features, but what I need to do would be more like being able to see one exposure WHILE framing the next shot over it (as opposed to combining the two after both have been shot).

Suggestions welcome!

10 REPLIES 10

@dreamrthts wrote:

Hi there. I've done several google searches to absolutely no avail on this topic. I'm looking for a way to accomplish something akin to (in my imagination) inputing an image into the camera to act as the digital grid display would, as a transparent overlay to what I'm seeing through the viewfinder. I could then position myself/camera and the item to align perfectly with a reference image I want to match as closely as possible. In-camera software? Hardware? Other??

I've read about the in-camera dual exposure features, but what I need to do would be more like being able to see one exposure WHILE framing the next shot over it (as opposed to combining the two after both have been shot).

Suggestions welcome!

I doubt that any cameras currently in production are designed to allow what you're asking for. Moreover, I suspect tht aligning the new image with the old would be much more difficult than you imagine.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat thank you for the response. I agree there probably isn't currently anything designed for this. But that's exactly why I'm reaching out to the collective - curious to hear from any others who may have approached similar challenges. I have had a decent amount of success just by printing the drawing and visually referencing it as I shoot, then tweaking a bit in Photoshop, but...necessity is the mother of invention! I'm convinced there's a better way.

Bob, it turns out there IS the technology! Once Peter put a name to it (ghost image) I was able to find a few YouTube tutorials on the MagicLantern function, and THIS which actually shows another native EOS utility option (part of LiveView). 

Seems to me that it would easy if you shot a clean shot of your background.  Next, you would take photos of your subject(s), and then add them on different layers [and layer masks] to the background in Photoshop. 

I would assume that all shots are being taken on a tripod, and that the position of the tripod and head can be accurately documented and reproduced.  Otherwise, would need to take all of your shots in one session, without moving the camera.  This is the sort of stuff that a "production designer" would do when filming a movie.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle. Agreed, that would be the ideal! Unfortunately the challenge here was to match up some shots for which tripod/setup details are not available (were never documented).

Even moving forward for new pairs, documenting the initial setup won't help all that much. Due to the fact that thes are vehicle repair shots, the car, even if it's parked and never moved, shifts slightly as its weight shifts, workers are in and out of it, etc. I could do a time lapse, but it's just a before/after series of images focused on various components (inside and out) that's really needed, not to mention the camera/tripod must be removed during the work so as not to impeed. 

I don't expect to get PERFECTLY aligned images, but at least saving my self hours of Photoshop alignment and distortion with the in-camera ghost image solution will be welcome! Can't wait to try it.

Peter
Authority
Authority

20160201_095116.jpg

Something like that? A ghost image?

VRAM0.jpg

Or like this? Your own grid? Ghost image and own grid only work in Live View mode.

Peter, those could definitely help, though I've never used them. No problem using Live View since it's really just to get it lined up anyway. 

How does the ghost image work? And by "own grid" does that mean you somehow create (in camera) or upload a custom user-defined grid? I'm very interested in learning more about both options. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Peter
Authority
Authority
With ghost image you take one picture and it will be your ghost image for the next one.
With your own cropmark/grid you can make your own in GIMP or Photoshop. You will need Magic Lantern.
Announcements