cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

77d wont connect to pc

lordbodom
Contributor

I just bought a 77d recently. I am able to connect to the cameraconnect app on my iphone, but i am not able to connect the camera with my PC. I have the EOS utility app installed. I connect to the camera WIFI and when it tells me to open the EOS utility, i open it and get a message soon that its not able to locate a camera. I tried connecting using USB as well and still nothing. Any settings I need to change?

12 REPLIES 12

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@lordbodom wrote:

I just bought a 77d recently. I am able to connect to the cameraconnect app on my iphone, but i am not able to connect the camera with my PC. I have the EOS utility app installed. I connect to the camera WIFI and when it tells me to open the EOS utility, i open it and get a message soon that its not able to locate a camera. I tried connecting using USB as well and still nothing. Any settings I need to change?

Quick lesson on Wi-Fi and general networking:

The camera connects to your phone because your phone acts like a Wi-Fi network hotspot.  

Your PC cannot act like a Wi-Fi hotspot.  In fact, most PCs are only able to connect to one network at a time, most likely your home LAN, or wireless router.  So, camera needs to connect to that same network, and then EOS Utility should be able to find it.  

The camera would also need to define a new network connection for your local LAN, too, just as a laptop PC defines separate network connections for different wireless connections.

This should be covered in your camera’s Wi-Fi documentation.  You can also contact Canon Support for assistance.

A phone with WiFi capability acts as either a client or a hotspot, depending on how it's configured. If it's configured as a client, the camera won't see it as a hotspot.

A Windows PC prefers to be a WiFi client, but can be set to be a hotspot.

A PC can be simultaneously connected to as many networks as it has hardware interfaces with which to make a connection. The laptop computer on which I'm typing this is connected to my LAN via its Ethernet port and to my WiFi network via its wireless interface. (As it happens, both interfaces have IP addresses in the same subnet, but that isn't a requirement. The computer can perfectly well function as a router.)

At least some Canon DSLRs can be set to be either a WiFi client or an access point. (The latter allows a computer to access the camera in the absence of an existing WiFi network, but limits the camera's ability to talk directly to other devices.) I have my 5D4 set to obtain an IP address (via DHCP) on my WiFi network, and I have no trouble accessing it via the EOS Utility.

I was trying to keep it simple, and avoid going deep into the weeds.  Yes, a computer can make multiple network connections, provided it has multiple network adapters.  In fact, most Windws PCs have a wireless adapter and a copper adapter. 

Those facts really do not move dial towards resolving the OPs issue.  It turns what should be simple and straightforward into mind boggling complication.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@lordbodom wrote:

Quick lesson on Wi-Fi and general networking:

The camera connects to your phone because your phone acts like a Wi-Fi network hotspot.  

Your PC cannot act like a Wi-Fi hotspot.  In fact, most PCs are only able to connect to one network at a time, most likely your home LAN, or wireless router.  So, camera needs to connect to that same network, and then EOS Utility should be able to find it.  

The camera would also need to define a new network connection for your local LAN, too, just as a laptop PC defines separate network connections for different wireless connections.

This should be covered in your camera’s Wi-Fi documentation.  You can also contact Canon Support for assistance.

A phone with WiFi capability acts as either a client or a hotspot, depending on how it's configured. If it's configured as a client, the camera won't see it as a hotspot.

A Windows PC prefers to be a WiFi client, but can be set to be a hotspot.

A PC can be simultaneously connected to as many networks as it has hardware interfaces with which to make a connection. The laptop computer on which I'm typing this is connected to my LAN via its Ethernet port and to my WiFi network via its wireless interface. (As it happens, both interfaces have IP addresses in the same subnet, but that isn't a requirement. The computer can perfectly well function as a router.)

At least some Canon DSLRs can be set to be either a WiFi client or an access point. (The latter allows a computer to access the camera in the absence of an existing WiFi network, but limits the camera's ability to talk directly to other devices.) I have my 5D4 set to obtain an IP address (via DHCP) on my WiFi network, and I have no trouble accessing it via the EOS Utility.

I was trying to keep it simple, and avoid going deep into the weeds.  Yes, a computer can make multiple network connections, provided it has multiple network adapters.  In fact, most Windws PCs have a wireless adapter and a copper adapter. 

Those facts really do not move dial towards resolving the OPs issue.  It turns what should be simple and straightforward into mind boggling complication.

I have to disagree. WiFi setup is inherently complex, and a photographer has to be unusually computer literate to do it effectively. That's the primary cause of most of the endless parade of questions and complaints we get about WiFi setup. Trying to pretend that it's simpler than it is doesn't move the dial either.

Whether Albert Einstein actually originated this quote with which he is sometimes credited is highly debatable. But it's true anyway: "Everything should be made as simple as possible – but not simpler!"

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Was able to fix the issue, turns out it was the usb cable. The cable works perfect for my external drive so i wasn't considering it might be the issue. I tried another cable and it worked without problems. Thanks everyone for the tips and help.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements