cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

77d wont connect to pc

lordbodom
Contributor

I just bought a 77d recently. I am able to connect to the cameraconnect app on my iphone, but i am not able to connect the camera with my PC. I have the EOS utility app installed. I connect to the camera WIFI and when it tells me to open the EOS utility, i open it and get a message soon that its not able to locate a camera. I tried connecting using USB as well and still nothing. Any settings I need to change?

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For USB you need to turn Wifi off.

What PC and OS do you have?

I disabled WIFI as well but still same behavior. I have windows 7 installed.

eos.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@lordbodom wrote:

I just bought a 77d recently. I am able to connect to the cameraconnect app on my iphone, but i am not able to connect the camera with my PC. I have the EOS utility app installed. I connect to the camera WIFI and when it tells me to open the EOS utility, i open it and get a message soon that its not able to locate a camera. I tried connecting using USB as well and still nothing. Any settings I need to change?

Quick lesson on Wi-Fi and general networking:

The camera connects to your phone because your phone acts like a Wi-Fi network hotspot.  

Your PC cannot act like a Wi-Fi hotspot.  In fact, most PCs are only able to connect to one network at a time, most likely your home LAN, or wireless router.  So, camera needs to connect to that same network, and then EOS Utility should be able to find it.  

The camera would also need to define a new network connection for your local LAN, too, just as a laptop PC defines separate network connections for different wireless connections.

This should be covered in your camera’s Wi-Fi documentation.  You can also contact Canon Support for assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Im doing exactly what the camera instructions are. i select the PC on the computer, then it asks me to connect to the canon camera on wifi from my PC which i am able to do. Then it asks to open eos utility, and nothinghappens.

Even with USB i cant seem to do anything with wifi disabled.

@lordbodom wrote:

Im doing exactly what the camera instructions are. i select the PC on the computer, then it asks me to connect to the canon camera on wifi from my PC which i am able to do. Then it asks to open eos utility, and nothinghappens.

Even with USB i cant seem to do anything with wifi disabled.

You could be running into network security issues with the Wi-Fi.  I cannot help you there, but it should be prompting you to log onto the Wi-Fi network.

But, the USB connection should work, and you may need to simply manually start the EOS Utility 3 yourself.  I do not understand why the Canon Utility wants to default to Wi-Fi, but it is what it is.  That is the wrong dialog box on the left for a USB connection.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. But when I open utility, that is the only box that opens.

Was able to get WIFI connection at least by deleting the device information and starting over again. USB still wont work, called canon support and they are trying to blame windows 7. Just want to make sure I do not have a defective camera.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@lordbodom wrote:

Quick lesson on Wi-Fi and general networking:

The camera connects to your phone because your phone acts like a Wi-Fi network hotspot.  

Your PC cannot act like a Wi-Fi hotspot.  In fact, most PCs are only able to connect to one network at a time, most likely your home LAN, or wireless router.  So, camera needs to connect to that same network, and then EOS Utility should be able to find it.  

The camera would also need to define a new network connection for your local LAN, too, just as a laptop PC defines separate network connections for different wireless connections.

This should be covered in your camera’s Wi-Fi documentation.  You can also contact Canon Support for assistance.

A phone with WiFi capability acts as either a client or a hotspot, depending on how it's configured. If it's configured as a client, the camera won't see it as a hotspot.

A Windows PC prefers to be a WiFi client, but can be set to be a hotspot.

A PC can be simultaneously connected to as many networks as it has hardware interfaces with which to make a connection. The laptop computer on which I'm typing this is connected to my LAN via its Ethernet port and to my WiFi network via its wireless interface. (As it happens, both interfaces have IP addresses in the same subnet, but that isn't a requirement. The computer can perfectly well function as a router.)

At least some Canon DSLRs can be set to be either a WiFi client or an access point. (The latter allows a computer to access the camera in the absence of an existing WiFi network, but limits the camera's ability to talk directly to other devices.) I have my 5D4 set to obtain an IP address (via DHCP) on my WiFi network, and I have no trouble accessing it via the EOS Utility.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements