cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stuck macro filter... help!

chloew
Apprentice

I have tried just about everything to get a macro filter off of my rebel t3i.. any other suggestions? It has been stuck for quite some time. I just want it off. Not even the rubber band trick will work. Please help!

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Google "tips to remove stuck lens filter"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

chloew
Apprentice
Yeah, I have tried that and several other ways of wording it. Nothing is working though

@chloew wrote:
Yeah, I have tried that and several other ways of wording it. Nothing is working though

If it's an expensive lens, I'd suggest you take it to a repair shop. If it's a cheap kit lens, you could try more heroic measures, possibly involving wrenches, very small amounts of penetrating oil, etc.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Did you try the hacksaw approach?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

chloew
Apprentice
Nope don't plan on it! Thanks

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... involving wrenches, very small amounts of penetrating oil, etc."  These may be more heroic measures but certainly not reasonable in any sane world.

Next time remember a screw on filter doesn't require extreme tightness to work!  The problem is you can't get even torque on the filter ring.  This causes some places to actually tighten up more the more you try to remove it.

"Not even the rubber band trick will work." I am not surprised.  You need something more substantial than a rubber band.  But the approch is correct.  There are cheap filter wrenches you might try.  Those rubber jar lid kitchen aids work too.

If it is still really stuck try a screw hose clamp of the appropriate size. It gives you a much better grip. You can get one at Ace Hardware or an auto parts store.

"...penetrating oil..." OMG Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...hacksaw..."

You didn't say that????????

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes.

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/15/canons-official-solution-for-stuck-lens-filters-use-a-hammer-and-hac...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your posting! The method above is to be done at your own risk. Canon cannot be held responsible for any damage that may be caused by anyone attempting this process. This process may increase the repair costs if the lens is damaged. For additional questions about this please contact our Technical Support Team via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 12 AM ET and Saturday from 10 AM to 8 PM ET.

We hope this helps!

Announcements