cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

light in corner of every photo i take - canon t5i

liondog487
Contributor

terribly sorry if this is a noob question, but I need to know if I am crazy or what. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Basically, in every picture I take, there is this annoying long triangular light on the top left corner of every picture I take and I wanted to know if this was a problem with the body(like if I dropped it or something), or dust in the lens,SOMETHING

please help. Thank you. Check the pictures to see what I'm talking about.Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.26.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.26.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.27.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.25.46 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@liondog487 wrote:
Is that really the only thing it could be ?

Almost certainly. The shutter blades are cut diagonally, and when they don't open or close properly, you get that classic triangular shape. It's rare for a shutter to fail on a camera that isn't very old and hasn't seen hard use, but it happens from time to time. The good side is that a shutter failure doesn't require a lot of research that would add to the repair cost, and that it's unlikely to happen again. A T5i probably isn't so old that it's not worth fixing, but that's a decision you'll have to make. If you send it to Canon, they'll tell you what it will cost before you have to decide. And our experience is that if they fix it, it will be fixed right.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Pobably a broken shutter. You will need to send it back to Canon for repair.

liondog487
Contributor

@liondog487 wrote:

Almost certainly. The shutter blades are cut diagonally, and when they don't open or close properly, you get that classic triangular shape. It's rare for a shutter to fail on a camera that isn't very old and hasn't seen hard use, but it happens from time to time. The good side is that a shutter failure doesn't require a lot of research that would add to the repair cost, and that it's unlikely to happen again. A T5i probably isn't so old that it's not worth fixing, but that's a decision you'll have to make. If you send it to Canon, they'll tell you what it will cost before you have to decide. And our experience is that if they fix it, it will be fixed right.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

liondog487
Contributor
Thank you so much ! Honestly was having the harder time trying to find out the issue but now I know.

A used T5i around $450. A shutter replacement should be around $220.

liondog487
Contributor
The thing is I'm trying to be cost efficient and stuff. Honestly I think I should invest in a t6s body for the higher ISO, but my main preference is video. What do you think would be a better investment ?

Then look at the T7i, it has dual pixel AF so it can do true AF during video. It also has an additional Video IS mode.

@liondog487 wrote:
The thing is I'm trying to be cost efficient and stuff. Honestly I think I should invest in a t6s body for the higher ISO, but my main preference is video. What do you think would be a better investment ?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders

@liondog487 wrote:

EOS 80D from the Canon Online Refurbished Store for the USA.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements