cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which USB-port does the EOS Rebel T8i use?

Wade-Schuette
Apprentice

I have a new EOS Rebel T8i with a mini-HDMI and USB port but I can't find any documentation on which USB port this is so that I can purchase a cable to connect it to my computer. 

From the size it looks like it is either a USB 2.0 "Type-B micro" or a USB 3.0 "Type C".  ( I"m using this webpage to try to identify them: https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-centre/usb-chargers-and-power-modules/usb-and-power-module-product-he... 

That page says the "Micro-USB can only be plugged in one way and has two hooks at the bottom to hold the cable in place." which looks like this, to me, but I'd like confirmation before buying one!

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

It's true that they're similar, but really they're pretty easy to tell apart.  "USB 2.0 Type-B micro", commonly just called "micro USB", is wedge-shaped -- one side is longer than the other.  USB C is symmetrical, and rounded on both ends.

In any case I just googled "EOS Rebel T8i USB port" and the results include "... Insert the cord's plug into the camera's digital terminal (USB Micro-B).; ...".  So I think that's your answer.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177098

BTW the web page you refer to is not great.  For example, "USB Type-B Micro ... Used by modern Android devices" is garbage.  Micro USB was used by lots of small devices, whether Windows or Android, as well as cameras etc., but has been superseded by USB C.  Sadly a handful of recent devices haven't caught up, and still use Micro USB.

Thank you for the answer to my question, and for making the record clearer for anyone who asks this same question later!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Wade-Schuette,

The cable you want is an IFC-600PCU cable.

You can buy this directly from Canon. I use it with my T8i all the time.

Steve Thomas

Thanks, Steve.  I think I came across this as the only cable listed for the camera on Canon's site, but it was described as a "charging cable" with no further specs as to what was on each end.   ( Hint to Canon,  you might expand the description! )

The IFC-600PCU cable is just a USB A to micro cable.  You should be able to use any USB A to micro cable, including one you already have, and it should just work. This could save you a ton of money.  Of course some cables won't work, because there are certainly bad cables out there.  So if you pay the extra bucks to Canon for the official cable, I guess you get peace of mind.  But since USB is supposed to be a standard, it absolutely shouldn't matter.

For example, the R5 manual tells me to use the IFC-100U cable to connect it to the computer.  I completely ignore this and just use whatever USB C to C cable comes to hand, and it just works.  OK, I need a PD cable for charging.  But since the official cable is costing £41 right now, I can save quite a lot of cash that way.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Wade-Schuette wrote:

I have a new EOS Rebel T8i with a mini-HDMI and USB port but I can't find any documentation on which USB port this is so that I can purchase a cable to connect it to my computer. 

From the size it looks like it is either a USB 2.0 "Type-B micro" or a USB 3.0 "Type C".  ( I"m using this webpage to try to identify them: https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-centre/usb-chargers-and-power-modules/usb-and-power-module-product-he... 

That page says the "Micro-USB can only be plugged in one way and has two hooks at the bottom to hold the cable in place." which looks like this, to me, but I'd like confirmation before buying one!

Thank you!

Info is available in the camera manual

06DCB1D8-E84D-4E76-AF61-E5FA614CD9EA.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements