cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical band over part of image? Rebel T7

Cpeterson610
Apprentice

Went to import images off my sd card (Sandisk ultra plus 130mb/s) and the first image I took has a wide vertical band covering the right side of the image. I am unable to import this image or view it in camera on the sd card. I've had several instances where the camera will say busy when trying to take multiple pictures in a row fairly quickly (family photographer). Are these signs that the shutter is failing? I think my sd card should be fast enough and it is new. Help please?

if it makes a difference, this is my 50mm lens that I've used since day 1.62F7502F-03DA-4F7F-9453-87272CF46131.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Cpeterson610 wrote:

Went to import images off my sd card (Sandisk ultra plus 130mb/s) and the first image I took has a wide vertical band covering the right side of the image. I am unable to import this image or view it in camera on the sd card. I've had several instances where the camera will say busy when trying to take multiple pictures in a row fairly quickly (family photographer). Are these signs that the shutter is failing? I think my sd card should be fast enough and it is new. Help please?

if it makes a difference, this is my 50mm lens that I've used since day 1.

The fact that the image cannot be viewed properly suggests to me that the file is currupted, which would suggest a read/write issue with data going to the data buffer and thence to the card. 

When you say "take multiple pictures in a row fairly quickly", are you using a high speed shutter setting in the camera, or pressing the button repeatedly?

Some things that may help to narrow this down:

First of all do you format the card in the camera before using it to capture images?   If not, then you may have read/write issues to the card as it tries to find valid spece to put the images.   Certainly, do this before proceed to the next activities:

1 - Does this happen if you take images one at a time?  Try shooting single shots at different shutter speeds from slow to fast

2 - Now try to do the same thing, using the same shutter speeds but on high speed shooting

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Memory cards are one of the most commonly counterfeit consumer products available so use caution.  One of my former students interned with Sandisk and they had a significant number of cards returned under warranty that were counterfeit.  Same places to purchase are major local "brick and mortar" retailers along with Adorama and B&H.  Do not go with the big online "general stores", a card I received from Amazon several years was clearly a counterfeit but at least return was easy.

This does not present as a typical shutter failure but rather a data corruption issue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Rodger makes a good point. A counterfeit card will give you crappy performance and nothing you do will resolve that. We don't know if the card is new or has been working consistently well for some time - so a comment on that would help.

Still, if you DID get the card from a reputable supplier, I would follow the advice I gave in my first post.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Cpeterson610
Apprentice
It was purchased in person at Best Buy in the last 6 months and has been formatted in camera probably 3 times. For now I’ll “retire” this card and use a new one. I will also try the steps above. Thank you both!

Is the vertical band always green? A new SD is an easy way to eliminate it as the problem however, I don't think it is the SD card. First let's try a new SD card.

Personally I have not seen any different between formatting the SD in camera vs in computer as long as it is a WIndows machine. But the best advice is format a new SD card before use is a good practice. Also before an important shoot.

The good news is, I don't think that is a shutter issue but the bad news is, it could be a sensor issue. Hope for the SD card!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Do not use micro SD cards. Always format new cards in the camera.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements