cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble updating firmware from 1.1 to 1.2 for R50

carylb
Apprentice

I have tried for 2 days to update my camera.  Numerous cards have been formatted/unlocked and the reader is operable.  The update IS on the card but I am receiving the message; Memory card containing firmware is required to update.  

Any ideas what I do next?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, the Windows version of Canon firmware updates come as ZIP files - on a Mac it's transparent.

If that sorted your issue please mark the solution I offered as a resolution to help others in the same boat, and avoid you getting repeated efforts to solve it.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Cary and welcome to the forum:

There is not much detail to go on, so until we know things like the method of updating, the computer being used (at least whether its a Mac or PC) we can stick to some general comments.  I assume you have actually read the readme files that come with the updates when they are published, but I shall briefly review them.

The most reliable method is to download the update file to a computer first.  Whatever file you want will be in a compressed form, which depends on the operating system of the computer (e.g. Zip file for Windows), but the file must be expanded on the computer to produce a file with a .FIR extension.  That is what you copy to the card's home directory.

Once downloaded, you fit that into the camera, turn it on ( making sure that the battery is full or it has a power connection), go to the wrench and find the Firmware item.  On selection it will check the versions on the camera against the card and aske if you want to update.  Select yes and wait - don't touch the camera until that is complete.

Once the update is complete, I suggest shutting the camera down, re-starting it and then use the camera's format command to clear the card.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

I just followed a YouTube video.  The guy was using a MAC.. I have a desktop.  I did not zip the file as he didn't and it worked.  Go figure. 

Thanks for your response.  Caryl

Yep, the Windows version of Canon firmware updates come as ZIP files - on a Mac it's transparent.

If that sorted your issue please mark the solution I offered as a resolution to help others in the same boat, and avoid you getting repeated efforts to solve it.

cheers, TREVOR

It sounds like I'm having the same issue, and if so, I doubt Cary's question was actually answered. I'm using Windows 10 on a 2019 Lenovo L340 IdeaPad along with a Sandisk 256GB 200Mb/s card. First I tried the EOS utility, which led to the same conclusion as loading the file, "R5012000.FIR" onto the card and starting the firmware update from the camera's menu options and the card's root directory. Attached is a phone photo of that result. 

Using both methods and following them to the letter, when the loading process gets to this screen, my camera completely locks up indefinitely, and I cannot select "OK" ever. When I say this, I mean that even turning the camera's power off DOES NOT turn off this screen, and in order to clear this screen, I'm forced to remove the battery, wait a few seconds and then reinsert the battery. 

Afterward, my firmware version is still 1.1. 

What is the remedy?20240718_222802.jpg

Zac, you are drawing a long bow with the statement: "It sounds like I'm having the same issue, and if so, I doubt Cary's question was actually answered."  Please be aware of piggy-backing on other threads and assuming that their symptoms have the same root cause as yours. Each situation can be different and the fact he marked his issue as a solution suggest it solved HIS issue, especially as he clearly stated that his issue was following the instructions for a Mac, which are different from his PC.

Now, to your issue...
If one refers to the attached .PDF for preparing to update, it reads as follows:

Tronhard_1-1721362602847.png

Did you follow all of those precautions before starting, including removing any accessories?  Assuming you have done so, and given the symptoms you describe, then the following applies:

Tronhard_0-1721362444531.png

That is what I suggest you do.  If you are in the US, that is 800-OK-Canon.  I recommend you give them a call and have a chat with them.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements