cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traded my EOS RP for a 6D Mark II - Mistake?

p1hilp
Apprentice

Sold my 80D a year ago, then got an EOS RP 5 months ago as wanted to switch to mirrorlesss, and it was just an awful experience by comparison. I felt the AF was slow, somehow worse low light performance, didn't enjoy the new metal-like feel of the body, felt the UI was a bit laggy and not as snappy as the 80D, and I hated how the camera always forced live view unless I put my eye to the viewfinder, which wasn't very reliable anyway as the sensor would sometimes behave as if I had put my eye to it when I hadn't, or vice versa.

Given this, I spent the last 4 months letting my camera collect dust, until earlier this week, when I found someone willing to swap me their 6D II for my RP. Instantly, I already felt back at home. OS was once again snappy, AF felt smoother, and the body just felt much nicer in the hand.

However, ultimately it seems most people would disagree with my view on this, especially given how Canon are essentially discontinuing DSLRs and focusing primarily on Mirrorless. Above that, I've heard some pretty shady things about the 6D II, such as the sensor essentially being a full frame version of the 80D sensor, given its centred focus points, and apparently it's not very reliable in focusing anyway, and has some video shooting issues? Not 100% sure, but;

I'm just curious if you guys think I made the right choice or if I am an idiot.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Philip and welcome:

Honestly, it is not for us to tell you if you made a mistake or not.  What I will say that IMHO photography is far more than any camera's specs, it's also how it makes you as a photographer feel motivated to go out and take images.  If the other camera did not give that to you, then that was the wrong camera.  That is not the same as a professional will necessarily say as it is a tool rather than a driver.
Having made the decision, I think the time for looking over your shoulder is past.  Go and enjoy your camera, use it, create with it and be happy that you have something in your hands that inspires you.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ColinBROWN
Contributor

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

No product is custom designed for a specific user so each of us has to choose what best suits our tastes and needs. 

There is no magic camera architecture and no matter what path is chosen, if poorly implemented then it won't be great.  Mirrorless isn't a magic bullet for performance but it is the path forward because it is simpler/cheaper to manufacture and is a better platform for the hybrid video/still product which is where pretty much everything is today as video rapidly replaces still as the media of choice leading to an evolution where bodies will continue to be more of a video based platform with the ability to take still images.

I have yet to test a mirrorless platform that makes me willing to give up the performance and reliability of my 1DX III bodies.  I still prefer optical to electronic viewfinders for sports shooting and the ability to go well over 5,000 exposures on a single battery charge in very cold weather is something I have grown very used to having.

Ultimately the DSLR will disappear just because the number of us who still prefer that architecture aren't an economically viable market.   Tuesday night I shot one of the major HS basketball games of the season and there were 5 of us shooting with professional gear.  I was the only person using a DSLR, the others were shooting with Sony mirrorless gear.  My 1DX III bodies do everything I ask of a camera body with fast sure AF and great images in low light with perfect reliability and they will be what I use for the foreseeable future. 

If weight were a huge consideration, I would lean more towards mirrorless.  However the major weight of most of the body/lens setups I typically use at sports events is primarily driven by the lens and the weight of a hefty body helps to balance that lens so a light body isn't an asset in that case.

So enjoy what you have, technology isn't a smooth flow and new technologies don't just bring benefits-they also bring drawbacks.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Now, if you had bought a Nikon...

@kvbarkley wrote:

Now, if you had bought a Nikon...

🤣

Hi Ph1lip,

I owned a 6D2 for over 5 yrs.  Really enjoyed it.  While the RP is a slight bump from a performance standpoint, I'd choose a 6D2 over it personally.  I prefer its ergonomics, top mounted LCD and increased battery life.  At the time, video was less important to me, so having 1080p vs.  4K on the RP didn't matter much to me.

I think you need to give yourself more time with a device.  I'd pick a platform and stick with it.  Practice and master its features.  You will then be in a better position to determine what if anything a body doesn't do for you.  No camera is perfect.

All of the advice above is good.  Your gear does not define the images you capture.  You cannot buy "being a good photographer".  It takes practice and time.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

John_SD
Whiz

"I'm just curious if you guys think I made the right choice or if I am an idiot."

Personally, I think you made a mistake. You should have given the camera and yourself more of a chance. I've been shooting with an RP for over 3 years. It is not state-of-the-art or perfect by any means, but it was perfect for me. Why? It accomplished several things for me. One, I wanted to move into mirrorless, as this was and is the present and future. Two, I also wanted to move into full frame. Three, I wanted a lighter rig than what I was carrying. As someone who does a lot of hiking and photography in the deserts and mountains, a noticeably lighter rig made travel by foot much more pleasant. The RP accomplished everything I had hoped for. I still shoot with it and it still meets my needs. At some point I will definitely upgrade, but I am not one who needs the latest and greatest in order to capture the images I'm after. YMMV and best of luck with your choice of camera.

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

In 2019 I also moved from the 80D to the RP.  While the full frame was nice, I had some of the same complaints as you with the RP.  I did get the chance to use a 6D Mk ll about a year later.  It felt much more comfortable, and was more responsive.  Same sensor in both, and I didn't really notice any difference in image quality between the Digic 7 vs Digic 8.  Then again, all of these were race photos no larger than 16x20.  Anyway, in hindsight I wish I would have bought the 6D Mark ll over the RP.  The only thing I like better on the RP was the amount of focus points - 45 vs close to 4700.  

Anyway, image quality is a wash, and comfort is huge. I found the heavier 6D Mark ll so much more comfortable.  Besides, I love the DSLR style viewfinder over the electronic viewfinder.  Five years, and over 100,000 shots later with the mirrorless systems, and I still feel the same about the nice DSLR viewfinders.  It's all personal taste.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Digic 8 in the RP, Digic 7 in the 6D2..  hardly a difference. 😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!  I didn't see anything that stood out, but a few hundred photos of the same conditions (race finish line) wasn't much of a comparison test.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses
click here to view the gallery
Announcements