cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading software for EOS 90D

kellbow21
Apprentice

Which windows do I need to download software for my camera? What does having this software effect exactly?

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I suggest you follow the link below, and read the rather extensive material on the web page.  Generally, the software is compatible with Windows 11 and previous versions to Win 95, so I think you are covered.
Canon Support for EOS 90D | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kellbow21
Apprentice

My husband bought this camera for me but, the 200 page manual is a lot of info.

I saw that it said "download software onto computer before attaching camera" I'm not sure I even need to do this.

It's worth downloading the manual as a PDF if you have not done so, you can then search for words and phrases, something you can't do with a hardcopy.  Definitely work your way through the ToC and check to see what might be useful - usually things like focusing, exposure points, and customization of buttons.
If you just want to use the camera and save your files to a computer then you don't need any software.  The recommended, fastest and most reliable transfer is to remove the card from the camera, plug it into your PC's  SD card reader (built in or USB) and copy the files across.  Eject the card, put it back an in the camera and format the card using the camera's format command.   Don't delete the files, that can eventually create errors that will cost you files or even the whole card.
There is one piece of software you might want to download to your computer, which is DPP4 - Digital Professional Processing v4.  It's a free post-processing program that will give you basic processing of your files.

If you have Photoshop or Lightroom, you may not need it.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

If you only need to copy photos from your camera to a computer, one of the best ways in doing so is via a card reader. Some computers even have a built-in card reader. No software would be required.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

kellbow21,

Whet kind of software did you want to download?

What do you want the software to do?

I would echo what Trevor said. Download your manual in pdf format. It makes using your     manual a whole lot easier.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements