cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Camera and/or lens upgrade suggestions

mmolbert
Apprentice

Hello, 

I currently have a Canon EOS 6D Mark II with EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II USM and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM being the lenses that I use the most.  I shoot a lot of my daughter's volleyball games.  I am asking for any suggestions on a new camera/lens.  Thanks!  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Both of my colleagues have asked good questions.  Your body and lenses are exactly where I was 2 yrs ago.  The lenses you own are two of Canon's best.  I owned both and a few more 🙂.

My vote would be for a new camera, an this is is a great time to buy..  We are expecting some big announcements this month.  March is also Canon's end of year.  I moved to an R5 C.  2 years later I remain more than pleased and am excited every time I take my camera out.  Because you are a full-frame shooter and already own EF glass, I would stick with full frame.  A new full frame body will be familiar to you, and  deliver in the performance categories to which you are accustomed.   Of course, for the most part an upgrade is going to come down to budget.  Please tell us what might be ideal, and as far you'd go comfortably.  .

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

“ The truth is with your current gear you have very little to gain. ”

I would beg to differ.  The AF systems found in R series bodies are superior to those found in any DSLR.  The ISO range of body like the R6 Mark II is superior to the 6D mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

On a features basis, I tend to agree that the R series has benefits that are applicable. 

In that case, I would recommend either one of the R6 variants, or an R8 - since the OP has a FF camera currently, and that way will gain the benefits of better low light performance. 

As to a lens, I would suggest keeping with the current lenses to see how they behave.  If the performance is acceptable then that's a saving. If not, then look at replacing one or both of the EF lenses with an RF equivalent.  It all comes down to budget, for which we are still awaiting a response.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As always, the first things we need to know to provide you with practical assistance are:
1.  What is your budget?
2.  What do you produce - the investment for social media and digital display is different from large, detailed prints
3.  Do you want to consider getting RF glass, or the body only?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Does your present camera do the job or do you need better quality photos for media?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Both of my colleagues have asked good questions.  Your body and lenses are exactly where I was 2 yrs ago.  The lenses you own are two of Canon's best.  I owned both and a few more 🙂.

My vote would be for a new camera, an this is is a great time to buy..  We are expecting some big announcements this month.  March is also Canon's end of year.  I moved to an R5 C.  2 years later I remain more than pleased and am excited every time I take my camera out.  Because you are a full-frame shooter and already own EF glass, I would stick with full frame.  A new full frame body will be familiar to you, and  deliver in the performance categories to which you are accustomed.   Of course, for the most part an upgrade is going to come down to budget.  Please tell us what might be ideal, and as far you'd go comfortably.  .

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The truth is with your current gear you have very little to gain. So, make sure you know what gain you are after. Otherwise you are just spending money on a new camera and I totally think that alone is a good thing to do in itself. 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“ The truth is with your current gear you have very little to gain. ”

I would beg to differ.  The AF systems found in R series bodies are superior to those found in any DSLR.  The ISO range of body like the R6 Mark II is superior to the 6D mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Completely agree.  Another gain would be having more years worth of active support for the new camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

On a features basis, I tend to agree that the R series has benefits that are applicable. 

In that case, I would recommend either one of the R6 variants, or an R8 - since the OP has a FF camera currently, and that way will gain the benefits of better low light performance. 

As to a lens, I would suggest keeping with the current lenses to see how they behave.  If the performance is acceptable then that's a saving. If not, then look at replacing one or both of the EF lenses with an RF equivalent.  It all comes down to budget, for which we are still awaiting a response.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"So, make sure you know what gain you are after."

You guys need to learn how to read! There is no doubt any newer camera has better everything but that in itself is meaningless if its not needed. Myself as an example a mirrorless R3 would offer me little to nothing for my work. That is why I don't have one.

"Another gain would be having more years worth of active support for the new camera."

I have to agree with that one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do you suggest a new camera?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements