cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T8i - REFUSES to stay on for more than 29 minutes (Yes auto turn off disabled!)

reservesteel9
Contributor

Yes, I disabled the auto power off in the settings, before you ask. First and foremost, I have done a TON of googling around this issue and can find help for this issue nowhere. This forum is my last hope so-to-speak. ANY suggestions are welcome!  Also, I have multiple batteries for this camera and a plug-in battery. NO matter what I use, it turns off at the 29 minute mark. 20230210_121906.jpg

I do a lot of recording in 4k for my youtube channel. I also have a Camcard 4k from Elgato hooked up that let's me use it as a webcam with clean HDMI out, but whether, I am recording with out the camcard or not, it will ALWAYS shut off after 29ish minutes!
I ended up looking into alternative firmware but they don't support the t8i currently, I am at a point were I am going to need to go out and buy a whole new camera because of this. I love Cannon, but I cannot justify buying another one when this one is not working right to begin with.

Also, it shuts off no matter what, I can be:
recording on the SD
Recording on the computer or camcard
not recording, but the camera is on

No matter the use case, it turns off after 29 minutes. This is also true if the camera is plugged into the HDMI port or not. Their are no doubt people far more qualified than me, I am hoping that someone out their knows of a workaround (the lamplight or w/e firmware is a no-go, because it does not support t8i yet).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK - there's some confusion - If you're recording with the camera by itself, it has a 30-minute limit. It's not "licensed" as a "camcorder." (sounds silly, but it is what it is 🤷)

If you're live streaming using a capture device - that limit doesn't exist. To get the best quality, follow the PDF and disable the on-screen display for clean HDMI and turn off the power-saving options. 

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Y'all are caught up on clean HDMI out. The T8i has clean HDMI out - that's not the issue.
https://cam.start.canon/en/C002/manual/html/UG-06_Shooting-2_0140.html

Stephen_0-1676222992522.png

YES Thank you!
Also, I cannot belive it, I did what you said, and KEPT it in "P" mode for the video and (the LCD screen anyway) stayed on. I was NOT recording, and nothing was plugged in. The LCD did go black and gave me this message after the 30 minutes (BUT the camera did NOT shut off!!! SO that is progress!) hahaha. 
I am just excited to not see it turn completely off after 30 minutes 🙂

I am going to run another experiment now with my HDMI plugged in to the camera -> the Elgato 4k CamCard I have. I will let it run in OBS, to see if it still turns off. Thank you or helping me get a change (of any kind). 

Here is what the camera says after the 30 minute mark. I was going to make a time lapse of it, but really just to show you this one page, seems kind of like overkill. 

20230212_125617.jpg

Thank you, and understand. I disabled the "clean HDMI" out option that you saw earlier, ensured that the Auto power off feature was also disabled, I have no HDMI plugged in and I am NOT recording right now. I am making a video right now (with the phone) of this time lapsed, so I can actually show you. 
My apologies if I got short with you earlier. It's extremely frustrating. I had considered buying the R8, so that I have the ability to record over 30 minutes, but, I really wanted to avoid that because, aside from this small issue, the camera is great. 

Are you sure the image sensor isn't getting too hot. The camera WILL SHUT DOWN AUTOMATICALLY if it gets TOO HOT. Leaving the camera on in live view or movie mode for extended periods of time can cause the image sensor to overheat.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Others have experimented with these cameras, and they've run for literal hours. I have a T7i, and I've run mine for no less than 3 hours nonstop. No issues whatsoever. That being said, streaming in hot weather, or if the ambient temps rise above something the gear can handle, obviously, it will shut down - but you'll see a warning before that happens. The good news is streaming seems to be much less intensive on the cameras than recording. I haven't seen any reports of overheating from streaming personally, but that doesn't mean that phone support hasn't seen them. No advisories have been issued, and no emails have been sent out about it. 

The manual warns about the image sensor overheating if its on for long periods of time. I've never tested this. I only do stills no videos. All of the past cameras I've owned couldn't record video. Except my current 5D Mark IV, I don't use it for video only stills.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

OK - there's some confusion - If you're recording with the camera by itself, it has a 30-minute limit. It's not "licensed" as a "camcorder." (sounds silly, but it is what it is 🤷)

If you're live streaming using a capture device - that limit doesn't exist. To get the best quality, follow the PDF and disable the on-screen display for clean HDMI and turn off the power-saving options. 

You are a bad$&%. 
Know this. 

I have been hitting my head against the wall for MONTHS trying to figure out how the hell to do this. My camera has been on now for an hour and a half now and STILL going strong! Thank you! 

I do my best! 😊

When you go to the Webcam Product Page, I do not recall seeing any of the Rebel bodies being listed as having Clean HDMI output.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements