cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T8i - REFUSES to stay on for more than 29 minutes (Yes auto turn off disabled!)

reservesteel9
Contributor

Yes, I disabled the auto power off in the settings, before you ask. First and foremost, I have done a TON of googling around this issue and can find help for this issue nowhere. This forum is my last hope so-to-speak. ANY suggestions are welcome!  Also, I have multiple batteries for this camera and a plug-in battery. NO matter what I use, it turns off at the 29 minute mark. 20230210_121906.jpg

I do a lot of recording in 4k for my youtube channel. I also have a Camcard 4k from Elgato hooked up that let's me use it as a webcam with clean HDMI out, but whether, I am recording with out the camcard or not, it will ALWAYS shut off after 29ish minutes!
I ended up looking into alternative firmware but they don't support the t8i currently, I am at a point were I am going to need to go out and buy a whole new camera because of this. I love Cannon, but I cannot justify buying another one when this one is not working right to begin with.

Also, it shuts off no matter what, I can be:
recording on the SD
Recording on the computer or camcard
not recording, but the camera is on

No matter the use case, it turns off after 29 minutes. This is also true if the camera is plugged into the HDMI port or not. Their are no doubt people far more qualified than me, I am hoping that someone out their knows of a workaround (the lamplight or w/e firmware is a no-go, because it does not support t8i yet).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK - there's some confusion - If you're recording with the camera by itself, it has a 30-minute limit. It's not "licensed" as a "camcorder." (sounds silly, but it is what it is 🤷)

If you're live streaming using a capture device - that limit doesn't exist. To get the best quality, follow the PDF and disable the on-screen display for clean HDMI and turn off the power-saving options. 

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

They're there! Bear in mind, this list is only slightly outdated! 😂
Scroll alllll the way to the bottom of https://canon.us/livestream then expand the Clean HDMI solution section. Scroll down some more, and you'll see this:

Stephen_0-1676311974333.png

Since the pandemic, though, we've not only started putting clean HDMI in more of our cameras, but our newest cameras also can live stream without any additional software! 
Like I said above, I use my Rebel T7i - to get clean HDMI, I have to turn off autofocus, which isn't a problem if I'm using a high-quality lens and just streaming something stationary. It's not ideal, but it worked for me until the EOS Webcam Utility Pro came out. 

There supposed to there is even a setting for it (it's in one of my pictures). I have never been able to get it to work, so what you say makes sense. So, my solution was to get a camcard. 

Stephen. New to the forum I am trying to setup the T8i so that I can send via HDM to a Atomos Ninja w/o cuting out after 29 min.  I dont see the PDF that you speak of ti the answer.  Thanks for the assist. 

cbharris1124
Apprentice

I have the Rebel T7 and am trying my best to get past the 30 minute limit. Where’s this P mode for the T7 and I am using the Elgato Cam link capture card.

HELPPPPPPPPP! Please 

shadowsports_0-1676730643127.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements