cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous stop down on R3 and R5

medipix
Apprentice

Hello, I have a new application for my cameras and could use some configuration hints. I need to use the HDMI outputs on an R5 and R3 to feed a video switcher in a table-top setup intended for a 30-minute streaming presentation. The cameras are locked down and need to stay on continuously and operate with the lens stopped down to the selected aperture. On the R3, I went to the Power Saving menu and disabled screen dimmer, screen off, auto power off, and viewfinder off. Similar settings were selected on the R5. There don't seem to be any settings to operate the camera in stopped down mode.  EOS Utility provides the necessary control but only works with one camera. In addition, the cameras still seem to be shutting down after about 30 minutes regardless of the power saving settings. Perhaps someone who uses EOS cameras to record on external devices could provide some insight on configuring the cameras and also on third party software to enable long-term operation in stopped down mode.  Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you reset the cameras back to their factory defaults.   Download the User Guide for each camera in PDF format and then search for “Clean HDMI”. 

The Canon applications can talk to only one camera at a time. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the advice. I've upgraded my copies of the most current Advanced User Guides.
(CT2-D147-H for the R3) (CT2-D091-L for the R5). No matches for "Clean HDMI" were found in either file. Do I have the wrong documents?

@medipix wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've upgraded my copies of the most current Advanced User Guides.
(CT2-D147-H for the R3) (CT2-D091-L for the R5). No matches for "Clean HDMI" were found in either file. Do I have the wrong documents?

I'm not sure if this is the info you need, but for the R5 look at page 374 "HDMI display" and for the R3 page 421.

Newton

Thanks! This is really helpful and solves several of the issues I've been wrestling with. I'll make changes based on information from these pages and see how the system operates. Your insight is appreciated.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Didn’t you try anything else?  Try “HDMI”.

My apologies for not being able to provide more details about two different cameras. 

Yes, I tried other combinations. For example, "HDMI" returns 85 results in the R3 Guide, and I found some new and useful information. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I'm hoping someone who uses these bodies for video will have some ideas about timeouts and aperture control.

• Aperture control is as a basic exposure issue.  You cannot remotely control two cameras at the same time any of the Canon apps. 

Timeouts?  Either camera can output a video signal until the battery dies. 
Announcements