cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i w/ ring flash issues?

cfmistry
Apprentice

Hi all,

First of all I am new to (digital) photography, but now using it daily for my job.  I am doing lots of macro photography so just bought a ring flash off of Amazon.  It is a cheap, generic no-name ring flash.  The issue I'm having:

Is there a mode of setting to get the ring flash to go off with every photo?  

I have not found a mode where the flash will fire with every photo (even CA mode).  I want to set the camera up so that the ring flash fires everytime.  Since this is not a Canon ring flash I cannot use any of the settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cyrus

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

Even a cheap generic no name flash has a name...what is it?  how do you expect us to guess what it is so we can even begin to figure out how to help you? :).

Also it is helpful to tell us what have you been doing? What were your settings (mode, Av, Tv, M, P, Auto?).  Your post suggested that you have tried every single mode and nothing works so what is there for us to tell you that would be different when you are not telling us anything? I'm sorry to be kinda rude on you but it's frustrating that I can't read your mind.

As far as I know, any mode except the CA mode, when you have an external flash mounted on the hot shoe and it's turned on, it will fire every time.  Actually even in CA mode, the flash might fire too - I never use CA mode so I'm not sure.

The best way to use a flash without having to worry about the settings is to have the camera on M (manual) with settings that would be a stop or 2 underexposed and the flash set to ETTL.  The flash will fire every time regardless of the ambient light and the flash will mete out just enough light for a good exposure.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have what is likely a similar one. It has no name per se, but does say C100 on a little label on the housing unit.

Mine will fire each time I actuate shutter when Flash Control->Enable is set.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I have what is likely a similar one. It has no name per se, but does say C100 on a little label on the housing unit.

Mine will fire each time I actuate shutter when Flash Control->Enable is set.

Capture.JPG

John's customary meticulous research may bail you out this time, but the broader answer to your dilemma is "If you need it for work, spring for the actual Canon device."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cfmistry
Apprentice
Thanks all. Turns out the flash only works when on viewfinder mode. I found this to be common to Canon cameras with some research. The flash was a Neewer but I just purchased a Sigma unit.
Announcements