cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange dots on my R5

andydub
Apprentice

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-22 a la(s) 9.45.01 p.m..pngwhat is this?

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Probably noise.  The EXIF data has been stripped from the small image you uploaded.  What was the ISO for this capture?  With higher ISO and/or longer exposures then noise becomes more likely.  It is removable during processing and will be done automatically by some programs.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Peter
Authority
Authority

Hard to tell without a raw file.

• Bad pixels
  • If only going for the purple colour, laser damage

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My initial thought was hot pixels.  If you can do some high ISO, longer exposure shooting with a darker background at night, this might tell you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

andydub
Apprentice

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 a la(s) 10.06.21 a.m..pnghere is another example

If you want a better answer you upload a raw file, but it looks more and more like laser damage. Have you taken pictures at a party/club/concert?

A thread about R6 hit by laser https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Pink-line-on-all-R6-images/m-p/401100

I agree with Peter that it could very well be damage from a laser (as in light show).  If you are fortunate, it could be from contamination on the sensor refracting light but it looks very much like actual damage. 

One of the cautions with mirrorless is the sensor is exposed anytime the camera is active since that is part of its viewfinder system, a concern it shares with its close cousin the video camera.  Unlike a DSLR that only exposes the sensor during actual exposure (assuming you aren't using live view with the DSLR), the mirrorless sensor must always be protected from laser, strong direct sunlight into the lens, etc. when the camera is on with the viewfinder active.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Before you do anything I would have a pro clean the sensor. Since the sensor is exposed a lot it can become contaminated. Laser damage is a possibility but I think a small probability.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Agreed. Send it in for maintenance. If they find the sensor is actually damaged, they'll let you know. That way, you're not paying for a repair upfront. If you have CPS, it'll be one of your included cleanings. You can get started at canon.us/account

Announcements