cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter releasing on half press. Am I missing a setting?

JEFFSLC
Contributor

I just upgraded from a 6D to the R5.  I cant seem to figure out why on half press of the shutter button it focuses and shoots a picture. Full press does nothing after that.  Am I missing something or did I get a defective camera?

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Half press should work:

Untitled.jpg

Just in case you have it in some weird mode, try resetting the camera.

JEFFSLC
Contributor
Thank you, After I posted I tried resetting the custom settings, reset the camera and installed a new firmware. Carefully cleaned all the contacts.

Still doing the same thing. I think I must have a defective button.

Hi there,

One thing to check, just to be sure, is if there is a lighter touch that activates the focus without firing the shutter. The EOS 6D has a different style shutter button than the EOS R5 with the main difference being the EOS 6D has an apprent stopping point for the focus after which you can press down fully to actuate the shutter while the EOS R5 like the EOS 5D and EOS 1D series have a soft release without that stopping point for the focus mechanism. If the shutter is defective it would bebest to ave the camera checked out by a repair facility but for some users the difference can be drastic enough to need to retrain the finger press a little bit.

There is also a feature on the EOS R5 called [Continuous AF] whih might make this difference even harder to recognize, so for the most DSLR-like experience I would recommend disabling this feature for the meantime until you find it to be of benefit.

My wife and I both had to retrain our trigger fingers for the R5 and R6. It is very sensitive and you can not feel that dividing point of acquire focus / metering and triggering the shutter like on our DSLR's. I just lay my finger on the button to meter/focus or meter from the back of the camera, then finish the press. There are also settings you can access just by tapping the shutter button.

BBF would help, but that is something neither of us do, or want to for that matter. So, we just got used to it and don't even think about it now. But I can see where it could be a problem.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

FWIW, I personnally suggest trying back button focusing and exposure - there are numerous videos and documents outlining how this works.  The point being that one can get focus lock without touching the shutter button, thus leaving it alone for trigging the shutter.  It may take a bit of getting used to, but it is VERY efficient.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I can feel a distinct difference in the half and full press, it is slightly softer than my 6D but still disticnt.  Ive tried very very light pressure and due to slight unsteadyness it takes a few pictures. 

BBF does work but still shoots on half press. It could be do able like that although not how I would normally use it.  Maybe ill give it a try before I send it back in. 

@JEFFSLC wrote:

I can feel a distinct difference in the half and full press, it is slightly softer than my 6D but still disticnt.  Ive tried very very light pressure and due to slight unsteadyness it takes a few pictures. 

BBF does work but still shoots on half press. It could be do able like that although not how I would normally use it.  Maybe ill give it a try before I send it back in. 

When you set  BBF you should disable focus from the shutter button, then you should not have an issue.  Basically you are putting focus onto one button, exposure onto another button (both at the back of the camera) and then setting the shoot button to do nothing else but shoot.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JEFFSLC
Contributor
Thank you, I'll try that!

JEFFSLC
Contributor
I decided to set up a return for repair. BBF works, but I find myself shooting unintentionally quite a lot because it's still firing on half press.

I think the trouble is not the button itself. I connected my intervalometer which also has a two stage shutter release button and it also fires on a half press.
Announcements