cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you turn off IBIS when using a tripod?

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I am asking this just out of curiosity.

I don't own a camera that has IBIS.

I have read many people who recommend that you should turn off the image stabilization on your lens when using a tripod.

What do people say about cameras that have IBIS?

Steve Thomas

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should disable Image Stabilization when using a tripod.  

Some combinations of high performance DSLR camera bodies and EF lenses will do it automatically, regardless of the swith settings on the lens.  I would expect this to also be the case with R series bodes and RF lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

So far, from my own limited experience, I have not bothered to turn off IBIS in my R-series bodies and seen no problems.  I am using R5, R6 and R6II units with 14-35L, 24-105L, 100-500L, 24-240 RF lenses, I also shot, using the EF-RF adapter with the following EF lenses: 24-105L, 70-200LMkII f/4, 70-300L, 100-400LMkII and the Sigma 60-600s.  I cannot answer for other body/lens combinations.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

My experience has been the same as Trevor's, I just don't bother to turn IS off on the lens. But I did the same with my DSLR's. I use L glass, so as Waddizzle mentioned, it may be being taken care of in the lens.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The R5 has an IBIS High Resolution Shooting mode and the manual says to mount camera on a sturdy tripod. It is IBIS only and disables IS mode.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The R5 has an IBIS High Resolution Shooting mode and the manual says to mount camera on a sturdy tripod. It is IBIS only and disables IS mode.

I would suspect the R3 might do something similar.  It would be consistent with how the high end DSLRs worked with certain high performance lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

That's referred to as "pixel shifting" and I can totally see why ILS would be disabled when using it. The sensor is shifted to 9 different positions using IBIS tech to take the shot, so there can't be any chance of interruption/movement during recording of the image, including your subject.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

If high-end cameras automatically disable IBIS when mounted on a tripod, doesn't that suggest that you should manually disable IBIS when using lower-end models?

Steve Thomas

Lower end models don't have IBIS.  The camera that I think lies in a grey area is the R7 which has a less sophisticated form of IBIS.  Canon Japan have apparently said as much.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@stevet1 wrote:

If high-end cameras automatically disable IBIS when mounted on a tripod, doesn't that suggest that you should manually disable IBIS when using lower-end models?

As far as I can tell, none of the R's I have disable IBIS when on a tripod or when the camera is stationary, like on a sandbag, table, etc. When I'm on a tripod, the "shaky hand" icon stays ON unless you turn the lens IS to OFF. Now, what the camera is thinking when all of its motion sensors get involved, I don't know, but I haven't seen any literature that claims IBIS is auto disabled when the camera is stationary. You would think that if IBIS was disabled, the shaky hand icon would show as being OFF. The icon either has a + or OFF beside it. Of course, Canon sometimes doesn't do things like I would expect 🤔 😁

Newton

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements