cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering My EOS camera not purchased in the USA

raygjones
Apprentice

I have had many Canon EOS cameras. In Paris  France my EOS 7D was stolen. I purchased an EOS 90 in Prague to continue taking pictures on  my Danube cruise. Surprise when I tried to register it here in the US after returning to my home. Is there any way to get suport from Canon for this camera. Are the cameras that much different? None my past cameras and lens have failed, but geting the camera info from Canon has ben good. I expect the software may also be different?  Dissapointed at best.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have not been able to find a difference in Canon and Canon USA gear. The Canon cameras and lenses are made in same factory using the same parts seem to be identical in finished product. However, the accessories and manual plus the FW (language) may be different.

It has been my experience Canon USA doesn't like to service non-USA cameras. But they do seem to have few issues servicing non-USA lenses no matter where they are bought.

"I purchased an EOS 90 in Prague ..."

I doubt you will be able to register it but a call to Canon with an explanation just might prove fruitful. Canon USA is more forgiving than Nikon. Nikon USA won't touch non-USA gear, period, unless they have changed lately.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The camera will be the same, the difference as Ernie stated is with the accessories and ancillary items.

Canon's service policy on not working on gear in the U.S. that was purchased abroad is part of their method of protecting against gray market products and thus protecting their authorized U.S. dealer network.  In warranty would be a definite issue but you may get them to service it when it is out of warranty.  If not, there are some excellent repair places which can do repair/service like they do for Canon gear that is too old to be supported by Canon.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I appreciate in insight. I have never had to use Canon USA for warrantee problems. Just nice to be able to receive info on software updates or issues. I really like the new camera features.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Give’em a call
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements