cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 external microphone

velvetskinspa
Apprentice

How do I connect an external microphone to the camera? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

There is no provision for using an external microphone with this model.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

I use Corel videostudio 18 but I am more of a still image person so there may well be better solutions that someone more into video can suggest.  The Corel software is very capable but I wouldn't call it user friendly.  You can sync manually by moving the audio clip within the timeline but the easiest method is to record the audio with both your T6 and the external device then use the multi-cam editor function and it will automatically sync the two data streams and then you can kill the audio from the T6 when rendering the output because it will only be used as an audio "marker" for syncing the higher quality recording.

Others will likely have different software preferences.  I only spent a short time doing research before buying the Corel software because I needed to do some quick editing with video from my XF-400 camcorder.

Since this forum removes most links, rather than post a link do a search for: corel videostudio audio sync youtube  and you will find a short youtube video that shows you how to easily auto sync using the multi-camera editor function in the Corel software.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

There is no provision for using an external microphone with this model.  

Rodger

Thank you, what a disappointment after the investment I made. I don't get it, what camera doesn't have this option. Just venting.......

You are welcome and I understand your disappointment.  I suspect Canon tried to keep the cost low and the camera simple to operate.

Although leaving out an external mic jack might seem like a strange cost cutting measure, it pales in comparison to what the auto industry began doing in the 1980s effectively playing a game called, "what won't the consumer miss until after they purchase the car" and this is when conveniences like underhood lights went away.  Even minor cost cuts directly impact the profit line and when multiplied across thousands of units sold of a popular model it does add up.

Many of Canon DSLR models do have a mic jack.  Although less convenient, for highest quality you can use an external recorder with a built in mic mixer so that you aren't restricted to one mic and you can then sync the audio track with the video later.  Having a friend stand in front of the camera and snap his fingers or do a single clap will provide an easily identifiable visual and audible sync point.

Depending upon what you are recording, you will probably want the microphone(s) to be in a very different location from the camera to provide the desired audio content and quality.  You may find it useful to also record the audio on the built in mic to provide a sync reference throughout the video and the camera track can later be muted in your final edit OR serve as a backup in case something goes wrong with your external audio setup.

Rodger 

Thank you, I will give that a hero's try.  Is there a program you recommend to use to sync everything together?

I use Corel videostudio 18 but I am more of a still image person so there may well be better solutions that someone more into video can suggest.  The Corel software is very capable but I wouldn't call it user friendly.  You can sync manually by moving the audio clip within the timeline but the easiest method is to record the audio with both your T6 and the external device then use the multi-cam editor function and it will automatically sync the two data streams and then you can kill the audio from the T6 when rendering the output because it will only be used as an audio "marker" for syncing the higher quality recording.

Others will likely have different software preferences.  I only spent a short time doing research before buying the Corel software because I needed to do some quick editing with video from my XF-400 camcorder.

Since this forum removes most links, rather than post a link do a search for: corel videostudio audio sync youtube  and you will find a short youtube video that shows you how to easily auto sync using the multi-camera editor function in the Corel software.

Rodger

What computer?

iMovie will do it, or Final Cut Pro.

Thank you I will try a Tascam I am trying out wildlife short 29min clips

Disabled
Apprentice
Onvian 3.5mm Female to 5 Pin Mini USB Male Microphone Adapter Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHVEUX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hzbADbWTKFKJ9.
This is the adapter needed to use a rhode mic on a t6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“This is the adapter needed to use a rhode mic on a t6”

Sorry. But that is not the correct adapter cable. The T6 lacks a mic input.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements