cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T100- Clean sensor?

ClickAD
Contributor

I have a dark colored smudge that shows up when light colored pictures (ex. sky) are taken. Do I have dust on my sensor? And if so, how do I clean or remove it? I have a Rebel T100 camera.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ClickAD wrote:

I cannot get to the sensor. The camera does not have a way to lock up the mirror. Can I go to video mode to lock up the mirror. 

Make sure you are in a Creative Zone

Zones T100-1.jpg

Then, when you press the Menu button, you should see this selection in the Wrench 2 menu.

Sensor Cleaning T100-1.jpg

Newton

View solution in original post

Having the lens on or off the camera really makes no difference when you turn on or off the camera. I rarely turn off my cameras and usually rely on the “sleep” function. 

If you put a voltmeter on the camera mount electrical contacts, you will find they have power even with the main power switch turned off. The main switch just disables the function of the various buttons on your camera. 

Mike Sowsun

In response to FloridaDrafter
@ClickAD wrote:

Should the lens be removed before or after powering up the camera? And after cleaning, do you reattach the lens before or after powering down the camera?

You have to power down to take the camera out of Manual Cleaning, so after powerdown is when I reattach my lens.

Although I have removed and attached lenses, while under full power with no ill effects, I still try to make it a habit of powering down before swapping out lenses. This will ensure that your mirror and shutter are closed so that there is less possibility of getting debris, or worse yet, somehow damaging the sensor assembly or other parts of the interior during a lens change. Accidents happen. So I just power down, change my lens, and power on. No big deal.

One thing I will mention, during lens changes or manual cleaning, I keep my camera pointed down and keep the rear lens cap on the lens until time to attach it to the camera. I know this seems like a brief time, but it only takes seconds for lint, dust, or even dandruff to settle on the sensor assembly. Sometimes a give the lens and sensor box a quick blow with a Rocket blower, it just depends on how pressed I am to get the next shot 😉

Newton

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite

Do you have an air blower (hand-squeezable style)?  If so, lock up the camer's mirror, remove your lens, and blow out the camera's interior.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would recommend sending it in to Canon for cleaning.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The instructions in the manual are not correct. The camera does not have a clean manually function in the camera menu as indicated in the instruction manual. Is there another way to lock up the camera's mirror? Can I set the camera to video mode the lock up the mirror?

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can LOOK at the sensor to see if anything is on it. But other than carefully blowing off dust with a squeeze-bulb blower, it is not advisable for you to clean the sensor. You can damage it too easily. 

I cannot get to the sensor. The camera does not have a way to lock up the mirror. Can I go to video mode to lock up the mirror. 

Try it.

@ClickAD wrote:

Make sure you are in a Creative Zone

Zones T100-1.jpg

Then, when you press the Menu button, you should see this selection in the Wrench 2 menu.

Sensor Cleaning T100-1.jpg

Newton

Should the lens be removed before or after powering up the camera? And after cleaning, do you reattach the lens before or after powering down the camera? 

In response to FloridaDrafter
@ClickAD wrote:

You have to power down to take the camera out of Manual Cleaning, so after powerdown is when I reattach my lens.

Although I have removed and attached lenses, while under full power with no ill effects, I still try to make it a habit of powering down before swapping out lenses. This will ensure that your mirror and shutter are closed so that there is less possibility of getting debris, or worse yet, somehow damaging the sensor assembly or other parts of the interior during a lens change. Accidents happen. So I just power down, change my lens, and power on. No big deal.

One thing I will mention, during lens changes or manual cleaning, I keep my camera pointed down and keep the rear lens cap on the lens until time to attach it to the camera. I know this seems like a brief time, but it only takes seconds for lint, dust, or even dandruff to settle on the sensor assembly. Sometimes a give the lens and sensor box a quick blow with a Rocket blower, it just depends on how pressed I am to get the next shot 😉

Newton

ClickAD
Contributor

Your advice is appreciated.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements