cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

93 REPLIES 93

@johninbigd wrote:

What do you mean all I do is complain? I'm trying to explain what I've tried and what works and doesn't. I'm not sure why you're upset. I'm trying the things you suggest. In my experience, setting the picture style in camera does not affect the raw file at all. It has only affected the JPEG. I'm more than happy to test it again, but I just did that in a shoot last week. I sometimes set my picture style to monochrome so I can see the image in B&W and focus just on the light. That doesn't make the image a monochrome image. Until this problem started happening, I'd never used DPP, so I had no idea it applied those settings. I'm not sure how that helps as I still would need to open the image in DPP first then save it as a TIFF, then load the TIFF into Lr or whatever other editing tool I want to use. If that's what I have to do to solve this, I will. 

Not sure why you're mad at me. I've tried everything suggested in this thread so far.  I'm trying to find a feasible workflow that doesn't involve using three different apps. I'm frustrated and looking for a solution that isn't convoluted. Loading all my images into DPP and converting them to TIFFs and then loading them into Lr with further editing in Ps is convoluted. If it's the only way to make this work, I will do it, but you have to admit that's not the best workflow, nor is it going to great for disk space.

Since you are shooting RAW why don't you upload to a Dropbox or One Drive folder files from a camera that is giving you what you want and aso upload files from the R6 that are not how you like them. Then some of us could look at them and perhaps see what you are seeing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@johninbigd wrote:

What do you mean all I do is complain? I'm trying to explain what I've tried and what works and doesn't. I'm not sure why you're upset. I'm trying the things you suggest. In my experience, setting the picture style in camera does not affect the raw file at all. It has only affected the JPEG. I'm more than happy to test it again, but I just did that in a shoot last week. I sometimes set my picture style to monochrome so I can see the image in B&W and focus just on the light. That doesn't make the image a monochrome image. Until this problem started happening, I'd never used DPP, so I had no idea it applied those settings. I'm not sure how that helps as I still would need to open the image in DPP first then save it as a TIFF, then load the TIFF into Lr or whatever other editing tool I want to use. If that's what I have to do to solve this, I will. 

Not sure why you're mad at me. I've tried everything suggested in this thread so far.  I'm trying to find a feasible workflow that doesn't involve using three different apps. I'm frustrated and looking for a solution that isn't convoluted. Loading all my images into DPP and converting them to TIFFs and then loading them into Lr with further editing in Ps is convoluted. If it's the only way to make this work, I will do it, but you have to admit that's not the best workflow, nor is it going to great for disk space.

Since you are shooting RAW why don't you upload to a Dropbox or One Drive folder files from a camera that is giving you what you want and aso upload files from the R6 that are not how you like them. Then some of us could look at them and perhaps see what you are seeing.

That's a great idea! Since you all don't see what I'm seeing, it's kind of difficult for you to give advice. I'll find a couple good examples when I get off work and will post them. 

And keep in mind that I fully expect this to end up being user error on my part somehow. I really appreciate all the ideas and advice, so far. I'm frustrated with the problem, not with you all trying to help.

Here is the first set of examples from my most recent shoot on Saturday. I will mention that I'm starting to suspect that the flash at that studio had it's color temp set to something non-standard. If I remember right, those are adjustable. I think this because when setting the white balance to Flash, it's way too yellow. But setting it to Auto - White Priority in DPP, it looks far more natural.  Here is the folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qxen5ynufnfdzac/AACzXzyt8FrS4zyESPW5QO77a?dl=0

It contains the original raw file as well as a TIFF with the default settings and a TIFF with the white balance set to Auto and the picture style set to Faithful. I also just very slightly nudged the hue to the magenta side. Again, i think in hindsight this may be because the flash was at a non-standard color temp. Regardless, using the adjusted TIFF as a starting point, I can get a nice edit of that shot, I think.

I have another set of photos from my first shoot with the R6 that demonstrate my problem more clearly. Those were shot at my own place with my own strobe, a Godox AD200 Pro. I'll work on getting good examples of that shoot next. 

I'm finding it difficult to demonstrate the problem since the problem seems to be worst in Lightroom. But you can't see what I see in Lightroom. I'm finding that opening these images look pretty good when I open them in DPP, and look best after setting the picture style to Faithful and white balance to Auto.

I'll drop another raw file into that folder from the shoot at my place. Those images look pretty bad when opened directly in Lightroom. Even using the colorfidelity profiles, of which only the neutral and fine detail profiles work. The others have different hues in the midtones and shadows (too much magenta in midtones, way too much green in the shadows.)

As painful as it may be, selecting the images I want to edit and then converting them to TIFF in DPP with picture style set to faithful might be the best way forward for the time being. Or I just need to create a preset of my own that closely approximates what DPP is giving me.

I will also say, regarding the raw file I just added, I know that I had the lighting set incorrectly, resulting in a bit of a flat look and some hot spots. I think that contributes to my impression of this issue and perhaps made it seem worse than it actually is.

I really appreciate everyone's help! 

I just added an edited JPEG. That's the best I can get and I'm really not happy with it. I don't know how to describe it, but it looks off, especially the highlights. It's almost the same vibe that bad HDR gives me. I'm going to add a few JPEGs from previous photoshoots with the EOS R for comparison. They all look vastly better in clarity and colors. I also noticed that the "hot spots" from the flash look worse in the R6 than with the R. I don't understand it because from all reports, the R6 has the better sensor and better dynamic range. 

EDIT: Added several more older shots from the EOS R. In comparison, every shot I've taken with the R6 has less realistic colors and a flatter look, which honestly doesn't make sense to me.

"It's the cameras fault!" 

Go read a book on photography and stop wasting peoples time.

@shawnphoto wrote:

"It's the cameras fault!" 

Go read a book on photography and stop wasting peoples time.

I'm not blaming the camera. I'm simply trying to find a solution to a problem. If you think I need to "read a book on photography", go look at the sample images I just shared and see if you think I don't at least know a little about photography.

@johninbigd wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to demonstrate the problem since the problem seems to be worst in Lightroom. But you can't see what I see in Lightroom. I'm finding that opening these images look pretty good when I open them in DPP, and look best after setting the picture style to Faithful and white balance to Auto.

I'll drop another raw file into that folder from the shoot at my place. Those images look pretty bad when opened directly in Lightroom. Even using the colorfidelity profiles, of which only the neutral and fine detail profiles work. The others have different hues in the midtones and shadows (too much magenta in midtones, way too much green in the shadows.)

You do not have a Canon camera problem, or a Canon software problem.  Nope.  You have an Adobe Lightroom problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@johninbigd wrote:

You do not have a Canon camera problem, or a Canon software problem.  Nope.  You have an Adobe Lightroom problem.

That's very likely at this point, although the images don't look that great in Capture One or DxO Photolab 4, either. They do look best in Photolab, but still not quite right and definitely not the Canon look I'm used to with my other cameras. The best results I've achieved so far have been loading the raw files into Canon DPP, setting the picture style to Faithful, then saving that as a TIFF and loading that into some other app. But even then, I'm not getting results that meet my standards. I've found a few others who have similar issues, but I'm not having much luck figuring out the best way to resolve it. I don't want to start shooting in JPEG.

@Waddizzle wrote:

users just need a good color

if canon can't than I will choose a normal camera,  I don't wanna dance with profiles for my money.

Announcements