cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW format - EOS R50.

g_khajanchi
Apprentice

Hi, I am shooting photos in only RAW format with Canon EOS R50, but there is noise in the photo and not sharpness. 

Any other function settings are needed only for the RAW format, so that the photos do not contain noise and maintain sharpness.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Personally, I need to see an example of your issue to better understand it.  Could you share a sample of RAW file on public sharing service like Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc.?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome:
Well, given the whole point of RAW format is that it records without manipulation exactly what the camera shot, processing a RAW image is really best done in post processing - that really is the point of RAW anyway.   

There are products like DeVinci AI, Sharpen and DeNoise to name just one brand.   Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom now incorporate AI in their programs too.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Finelld
Apprentice

There shouldn't be a difference required as far as settings go between .jpg and RAW modes.  If you believe the issue is isolated to the RAW file format I would recommend do some tests by setting your camera to save both the RAW and .jpg images and do a comparison between the two.  The sharpness should be identical.  The camera does implement some processing to the .jpg file like white balance and other filters but they normally shouldn't effect the sharpness or noise.  If you determine that your RAW files are noisier or less sharp I would initially look at the software that you are using to view/edit the RAW files rather than camera settings.

Good luck and keep us posted.

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I set my camera to save CR3 plus JPG. I usually process the CR3 files in Canon DPP software. What software do you use to see the noise and lack of sharpness in the raw file?

Some camera settings can in some circumstances increase noise in the raw file, mostly because those settings will result in the metering being changed. If one intends to process raw files later, I suggest avoiding those camera settings, and applying those corrections later in the Canon DPP software later if you want them.

For example from the EOS R50 manual, https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/html/UG-05_Shooting-1_0120.html

• Noise may increase and apparent resolution may change, under some shooting conditions.

Other settings to consider avoiding in the camera include peripheral illumination correction and distortion correction.

For sharpness, in Canon DPP there is unsharp mask. Every digital image needs some amount of unsharp mask at some point in its creation. The  camera will apply an unsharp mask when creating a JPG or HIF file, but not when creating a CR3 file.  https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sharpness.htm 

Canon DPP software which is free to download also has "digital lens optimizer" which is available when one is using a Canon lens. This can also be set in the camera menu tabs.  https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/html/UG-05_Shooting-1_0240.html#Shooting-1_0240_4 This will make the image appear sharper if there is small aperture diffraction blur. 

The "clarity" setting in the camera will increase the apparent sharpness of the JPG files that the camera creates. For the CR3 file, you may set this in the Canon DPP software. https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/html/UG-05_Shooting-1_0220.html  

There are noise reduction settings in the camera menus that change the amount of noise reduction the camera does when creating JPG files. The Canon DPP software can do noise reduction when processing the CR3 files.

If using other software and not Canon DPP, some of these sharpness and noise reduction corrections will have other names.

I suggest looking at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Personally, I need to see an example of your issue to better understand it.  Could you share a sample of RAW file on public sharing service like Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc.?  

Yes, please share your ID 

@g_khajanchi wrote:

Yes, please share your ID 

Please create your own account somewhere.  Thanks, ahead of time.  Post the link to the file(s) or folder(s) here.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Please post some RAW samples to One Drive or Dropbox and post the link here.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority

Like the others wrote, a raw sample please. And also an exported file from your software so that we can see the issue you described.

Filehosts to use: Google Drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, Sprend (only 5 downloads)

In the link you can see the photo of God and a boy which is a raw file.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements