cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6mk2 dark edges to images?

SimonDM
Apprentice

My R6mk2 is about three months old. Until yesterday it's been pretty amazing (shutter count now around 1800 at a guess).

I now think I have a sticky shutter, but I'm not sure, so posting here in case I"m doing something stupid. This seems to be the worst kind of fault (if it is one), i.e. intermittent.

Yesterday I started a big project, to capture 360VR panoramas of my local golf course. that's 29 images per pano, three panos per hole, so around 1600 images, probably. Reviewing the five panos taken yesterday, every frame of the first three has a dark band down one side (images are mostly in portrait format). It's the side towards the baseplate of the camera (because the images are inverted through the lens).

For the last two panos, it isn't evident. Whatever was wrong seems to have cleared.

I'm using a Venus Laowa 15mm "zero D" f/2 lens at around f/8. It has some vignetting, but nothing normally on this scale. These below were both 1/5000th sec (aperture f/8) ISO 500. It's a fully manual lens (no electronics whatsoever), but it is R-mount and it was bought new with the camera.

I must add that the camera was accidentally left on mechanical shutter 'motor drive' (NOT the high speed electronic shutter!). I'm wondering if that has relevance. I turned it to single-shot for the last two panos, which are clean of the problem. I'm wondering presently if the first curtain was slowing down at the end of its travel, so the slit wasn't a constant width, but honestly it's really weird, and even looks a bit worse in the corners.

I can use this lens on a much slower shutter speed (and wind the ISO down a lot). I"m not keen to put an ND filter on it because of internal reflections - I know I'm going to have trouble with flare already!

Any thoughts welcome, particularly from people who know the R6mk2 well.

(the first image is from the pano's middle row)

From the first pano.From the first pano.From the upper ring of the first panoFrom the upper ring of the first pano 

1 REPLY 1

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

SimonDM,

Do you have any other lens you can try?

You might also take the lens off and remount it.

Vignetting is usually caused by something blocking the light rays from hitting the sensor, like a lens hood or stacked filters or something. My thought was an ill-fitting lens.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements