cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Focus Stacking forces electronic shutter

rpoole
Contributor

The R7, and other R series cameras, forces electronic shutter for focus stacking. This prevents the use of flash for focus stacking. There is no really good reason for not allowing mechanical shutter for focus stacking and the choice of which shutter should be left up to the photographer, not the camera. Does anyone know of any workarounds that can allow the use of flash with the built-in focus stacking?

36 REPLIES 36

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The best work around is to buy some video lighting gear and not use a flash..

I do not see why not using a flash is a major inconvenience. Set the camera to Av mode, ISO to 100, and everything should take care of itself using whatever ambient lighting you have.

Otherwise, you will have to create the focus stacks the old fashioned way, if you want to use a flash. You will have to build the stacks manually. If that is the limitation of the camera feature, then it is what it is.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rpoole,

The focus stacking function in the EOS R7 cannot be used with a flash. As Waddizzle mentioned we would recommend using something like video lights since they output consistent light through the entire shoot.

We appreciate feedback on changes customers would like us to make to our products. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this post, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

Considering I have multiple high quality flashes, and diffusers, and reflectors that have worked just fine with all DSLRs the switch to the R7 that forces electronic shutter thus no flash usage seems like a downgrade, not an upgrade for focus stacking. Why should I be forced to purchase one or more video lights just to retain the capability I have with my current DSLRs? There just is no reasonable justification to force only electronic shutter for focus stacking. It should be the photographer's choice of which shutter mode to use, not the camera's. So now I have to carry more gear and more weight instead of less gear and less weight when I travel (video lights and flashes with R7 or flashes and both R7 and 7D2). Seems to defeat part of the purpose of upgrading to the R7.

@rpoolewrote:

Considering I have multiple high quality flashes, and diffusers, and reflectors that have worked just fine with all DSLRs the switch to the R7 that forces electronic shutter thus no flash usage seems like a downgrade, not an upgrade for focus stacking.

So now I have to carry more gear aof the purpose of upgrading to the R7.

Are your DSLRs able to perform focus stacking with or without a flash?

Why is it necessary to use a flash for focus stacking? As I pointed out above, artificial lighting isn’t required, at all.

I guess you've never done focus stacking in Texas where it can be quite windy during they day.  Doing focus stacks in nature is much easier in the late evenings and night when it is usually much calmer.  Wind deflectors usually aren't enough during strong day time winds so you either have to wait for rare calm days or just wait until night time when it is usually calmer.  I've never had enough natural light to do focus stacks at night thus the required use of artificial light.  I've been using Helicon on my tablet to do focus stacks with my DSLRs and it works quite well but it is more gear you have to carry.  Being able to do it in camera is quite handy and seems to work quite well.  However, it would be nice to have the option of using mechanical shutter when you need to use flash.

Are your DSLRs able to perform focus stacking with or without a flash?” 

I’ll take your non-answer to mean no. Your DSLRs are not able to perform in-camera focus stacking.

Furthermore, your response does not address why the objection to automatic focus stacking being [performed] by the electronic shutter.  I will take that to mean no, also.  It is not necessary to use a mechanical shutter to capture static scenes.

Happy Photography, to you.

He answered you. You just didnt realize it because you are talking about something you clearly dont understand. I have both the R7 and R6 and its a legitimate problem for macro photographers who want to use the stacking function to have a camera that is crippled to not allow flash. The wind he mentioned matters because the flash burst effectively becomes the shutter speed. High magnification shots also magnify motion, and thus issues with motion blur. Using constant lighting is a major issue if you handhold stack live specimens - Especially if it is at all windy. You made several comments above which are very frustrating because you are talking about something you have introductory technical inderstanding of and clearly no practical understanding from experience with. 

No when you do real macro 1:1 or greater ambient light is insufficient you have to use dedicated lenses or adapters you are so close you often are blocking light from the subject 

Honestly not being able to use flash with focus bracketing is a massive oversight, when doing real Macro photography 1:1 or greater you almost always struggle with light you are so close to the subject you can be causing shadows with your gear, it would be such a simple change to allow this and believe me the macro community would appreciate it.

Announcements