cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Focus Stacking forces electronic shutter

rpoole
Contributor

The R7, and other R series cameras, forces electronic shutter for focus stacking. This prevents the use of flash for focus stacking. There is no really good reason for not allowing mechanical shutter for focus stacking and the choice of which shutter should be left up to the photographer, not the camera. Does anyone know of any workarounds that can allow the use of flash with the built-in focus stacking?

56 REPLIES 56

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Adapt.  Use a video light.  It will capture the entire sequence in less than a second in most scenarios.  BFFFT, and you’re done.  You just might be able to capture more shots on a single charge of the video light compared to the flash.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TattooTroy
Apprentice

No video light out there is portable and will give great macro results as a flash paired with a professional macro diffuser like the Cygnustech macro flash diffuser. Focus bracketing with flash and a diffuser is the best method for capturing high-def macro shots in the macro world. 

Check out the results from the Olympus OM camera with flash focus bracketing.

Olympus OM camera with flash focus bracketing.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 5.36.44 PM.png

The best macro shots are definitely taken using focus bracketing with flash. By Olympus OM system users. Canon has no rival. And No answer. When will Canon address this omission and provide it? They will lose many more macro photographers to Olympus if they don’t. Are you listening Canon? Give us some positive news if you want to keep us brand loyal!

This video shows you *DO NOT* need in camera bracketing. He uses manual lenses and the lean method to make his stacks. You can do this with any camera...and, objectively, get better IQ and more resolution with a number of cameras, including the R7, that simply is not possible with m4/3 format cameras. Its good to understand that all m/43 cameras are, are little sensors giving an equivalent fov to cropping larger format images made with apsc, full frame or medium formats. They dont provide "more reach". 

Lastly, "professional diffusers" is not cygnustech or any of the overpriced pieces of plastic new macro shooters are buying. You can, and many of us have for years, make diffusers that do just as good of a job for $5. Cygnustech and AK literally took the concave diffuser design principles many of us were using 10 - 15 years ago. Here is a link from years ago with people showing their DIY solutions. I have also shared one of my photos made with like $3 worth of material for the diffuser. 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3953465

2024-02-12_08-49-28.jpg

Not everyone has many time to spend creating a DIY diffuser. I prefer to pay someone who has done all the experiments and offers a great device. I have many money, so I bought a new Canon R3, now I can fire the flash in the mechanical shutter for macro. 

IMG_8635 (1).jpegIMG_8632 (1).jpegR6_25839 (1).jpeg

You missed my point entirely. Its not about the cost. Its about you saying what "pros" do is buy overpriced pieces of plastic as part of their gear kit. I maintain there is skill involved in all aspects of making an image and not just buying overpriced prefab gear and relying on automation with a repeatable formula. Im not opposed to that stuff being out there for people who lack the time or skills and understanding to adapt to all scenerios....building diffusers was...and still is part of the craft. You need to learn and understand the principles of lighting to make good diffusers...but its also that learning that allows some of us to visualize an image and create it, or come across a tricky subject or scenerio and not be limited to a single lighting solution. 

@TattooTroy wrote:

No video light out there is portable and will give great macro results as a flash paired with a professional macro diffuser like the Cygnustech macro flash diffuser. Focus bracketing with flash and a diffuser is the best method for capturing high-def macro shots in the macro world. 

Check out the results from the Olympus OM camera with flash focus bracketing.

Olympus OM camera with flash focus bracketing.

Did you watch your video before you posted it?  Around the 5:00 mark he explains that he is not even using focus bracketing because he is using manual focus lenses.  

“ No video light out there is portable…

BTW, there is a wide selection of on-camera, video lights that mount on a hot shoe like a strobe, or on a lens like a ring macro light.  They range in price from $25 to $2500 kits.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements