cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 mark 2 pic in the sun with mechanical and electronic shutter, serious defect

Fiore
Contributor

I bought the R6 mark a year ago and I've always had this problem, I sent Canon for assistance and after having it for a month they replied that it's normal? How can you work in this way, during a photo shoot if I shoot where the sun is present in the frame I have to remember to switch to electronic shutter, no it's always possible, if at least there was the possibility of having the function on a quick button. You can't always shoot with an electronic shutter because the latitude becomes noticeably narrower and noise appears in the shadows. I was hoping that with a new firmware this defect would disappear.

FFC_8080-otturatore-meccanico.jpgFFC_8086-otturatore-elettronico.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Just what exactly is the problem?  

What is the difference between your images? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The problem is that with a mechanical shutter when you photograph a point of light such as the sun the curtains create those white stripes that you see in the photo, which does not happen with an electronic shutter.
You can shoot at any aperture, the defect is always there. Which has never happened with any of my reflex cameras. I asked a person to take a shot with his R5 and the problem also exists in his. For me it is something inconceivable.

FFC_8080-otturatore-meccanico.jpgr5__6900.jpg

@Fiore wrote:

The problem is that with a mechanical shutter when you photograph a point of light such as the sun the curtains create those white stripes that you see in the photo, which does not happen with an electronic shutter.
You can shoot at any aperture, the defect is always there. Which has never happened with any of my reflex cameras. I asked a person to take a shot with his R5 and the problem also exists in his. For me it is something inconceivable.

FFC_8080-otturatore-meccanico.jpgr5__6900.jpg

Is there an engineering reason why this would happen with a mirrorless camera but not a DSLR? Would it happen with a DSLR when in Live View mode? Is the mechanical shutter action in a mirrorless camera different than a DSLR?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I'm not an engineer, but I've been a photographer for 25 years and I've never seen this with any camera. the fact is that when using it for work the file that comes out is not of good quality with those white bars around the sun. of course it can be corrected in post production but in any case it is not always a feasible option, especially if you have a lot of files, in sports, such as sailing, or in the mountains with skiing, using the wide angle often the sun is part of the shot, and must appear still as natural as when shooting with an electronic shutter. In my opinion there is a design error, I would be curious to try other brands to see the result.

Give Canon support a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

I think he is unhappy with the contrast and shadows which is almost unavoidable when shooting into direct or brightly diffused sunlight.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Not the contrast and shadows, but the flare above and below the sun.

I am reminded of the old joke: "Doctor, I get flares when I shoot directly into the sun!", "Well, don't do that!"

That's my take as well; with the increased flare of the sun as you've pointed out.

Along with not shooting into the sun, would be helpful to know:

• What lens is being used - some have better flare handling than others.
  • Was a lens hood used? Though not sure that'd do much in this case.
  • Are you seeing this with various apertures?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

it happens with any lens, the lens hood when the sun is in the center of the frame is useless. Yes with all the openings I have already specified.

Announcements