Did you mean: 

R5 won't update to 1.4 firmware

trogon123
Apprentice

I followed the instructions for the firmware update. I get to the section:

Firmware update program

Update Firmware?

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0

Except that the OK button is grayed out!! I can't get any further than this. 

I've tried four different times, always with the same result.

Help!

Jonathan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Lotus7
Rising Star

@trogon123 wrote:

Firmware update program

Update Firmware?

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0

Help!

Jonathan

The "OK" button will be "grayed out" until you use the right rotation (on the central control ring <Quick Control Dial>) to index right.  You should then be able to hit "SET" to start loading the firmware into the camera's operating memory.  This is Canon's way of being sure you REALLY want to load new software into your camera.

If you're loading the update from the root directory of a memory card installed in the camera (the safest way), it will take 2 or 3 minutes to install the firmware.  As instructed, be sure you have a fully charged battery in the R5.

The progress of the installation will be displayed as a percentage.  DO NOT touch any buttons or controls during that process.

View solution in original post

Thank you, Lotus7. I kept trying to use the Quick Control Dial (with the Set button) and the Multi-controller (joy stick) to move to the OK. It works for everything else! The Main Dial, like you said, is the right move. All is well. 

Thanks again.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

If you still have 1.3.1 on your card, try deleting it and see if that works. I have a habit of leaving FIR files on my card and the last time I updated, within the past few weeks, one of our cameras would not update while older FIR files were on the card. I honestly don't remember if it was our 5D4 or R6 (I updated at the same time). It's not normally a problem, but this time is was, at least just having the newer version only, seemed to work.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Lotus7
Rising Star

@trogon123 wrote:

Firmware update program

Update Firmware?

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0

Help!

Jonathan

The "OK" button will be "grayed out" until you use the right rotation (on the central control ring <Quick Control Dial>) to index right.  You should then be able to hit "SET" to start loading the firmware into the camera's operating memory.  This is Canon's way of being sure you REALLY want to load new software into your camera.

If you're loading the update from the root directory of a memory card installed in the camera (the safest way), it will take 2 or 3 minutes to install the firmware.  As instructed, be sure you have a fully charged battery in the R5.

The progress of the installation will be displayed as a percentage.  DO NOT touch any buttons or controls during that process.

Thank you, Lotus7. I kept trying to use the Quick Control Dial (with the Set button) and the Multi-controller (joy stick) to move to the OK. It works for everything else! The Main Dial, like you said, is the right move. All is well. 

Thanks again.

Jonathan

@trogon123 wrote:

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Yes, Canon's numbered, step by step instructions direct that after selecting the new firmware version which can be done using the Multi-controller,  the next step is to "select" OK and then press <SET>, but then don't describe how to "select" OK.

One would think that the same Multi-controller would be able to <select> the "OK" menu selection, but that is not the case.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Are you trying to update using EOS utility or by updating from a card?  If you have been using EOS utility then try updating from the card instead which is more reliable.  Format the card in camera, copy the .FIR file to the root (main) directory and make sure that you have selected the correct card slot. 

If your R5 is like my 1DX series bodies, parts of the update will go very quickly while other parts will slow a bit.  This is normal so do NOT touch anything, let it finish its process without trying to intervene.  And as Canon warns, make sure that you start the process with a good fully charged battery.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my R5 and eventually figured it out. I have successfully updated firmware on a 70D, 90D, 6Dii, and an R and never had any issues so this time I called Canon to get help. The rep and I spent an hour trying to figure it out so even he didn't know! And it was such an easy fix! Haha! I think that Canon could do a little updating to their firmware instructions to match the newer menus.

bluedogyz400
Apprentice

--UPDATE--  Wouldn't you know it...the second I post on a forum, I am able to figure it out on my own.  It would not update via the CFe card...I had to load an old SD card with the same firmware file and it was recognized right away and updated without problem.  I am pretty sure it says that you CAN load the firmware on a CFe card...why would you need to use a lower level card for the firmware update?  Stupid, but it worked, so that's good.  

Is anyone else having issues with the update file not loading on their R5 by way of the Cf card or the EOS utility app?  I am trying to get to the 1.5.0 version from my current 1.3.1 firmware, so I tried updating to the 1.4.0 first, and neither the EOSR5140.FIR or the EOSR5150.FIR will load.  There is no greyed out okay button for me, there is nothing...and if there was no firmware on the card then I should get the error to load a firmware file.  I don't get any errors, it just never gives me an option to click okay to update.  I click on firmware, I click on camera firmware, I get the current firmware version is 1.3.1 update firmware is blank...and when I click okay, it takes me through what should be the progress bar, but nothing happens and it just lands on a screen that says "Please select new firmware version" with three empty boxes below that.  I have tried downloading both mac and PC versions, unzipped them and loaded them on the card both directly and through the EOS app...I have gone through the process about 8 times now and it just isn't recognizing the firmware.  I have emailed customer support but who knows how long before I hear back, and this is making me legit crazy...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Are you absolutely sure you have the EOSR5150.FIR file in the root directory.  If it's in any folder, it won't be recognized by the camera OS.

Also, I always load firmware updates on a freshly formatted SD card (with nothing else on the card).  I believe the camera OS first checks the SD card slot for updates.

Announcements