cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 timelapse stops working in middle of shoot?

dlee3050
Contributor

Hello, I live in Denver and we had that huge snowstorm 2 days ago.  I set up the R5 (indoors) to try to capture a snow timelapse.  I set up 60 sec interval shots up to anywhere from 200 shots to 2000 shots.  Each time I tried, the camera would stop shooting at various times during the interval and would shut off.  The longest it went was ~1.5 hrs and shortest it went before turning off was about 30 mins.  The camera didn't even save what it had shot up to that point.  The battery power was still pretty high when it turned off.  Anyone have any ideas what is happening?  I just bought the AC power adaptor to see if this makes a difference.  

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dlee3050 wrote:

Hello, I live in Denver and we had that huge snowstorm 2 days ago.  I set up the R5 (indoors) to try to capture a snow timelapse.  I set up 60 sec interval shots up to anywhere from 200 shots to 2000 shots.  Each time I tried, the camera would stop shooting at various times during the interval and would shut off.  The longest it went was ~1.5 hrs and shortest it went before turning off was about 30 mins.  The camera didn't even save what it had shot up to that point.  The battery power was still pretty high when it turned off.  Anyone have any ideas what is happening?  I just bought the AC power adaptor to see if this makes a difference.  

How are you setting up the camera?  Are you using the internal Interval Timer?  Or, are you using the Time-Lapse move mode?  

BTW, once the camera is set up you start the sequence, I don't think it should be necessary to keep the camera powered up.  Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used the timelapse movie mode.

Re: powering up the camera, I'm not sure what you mean.  I bought the adaptor to use with one of those "dummy batteries".

I am gonna try the AC power to see if it continues to shut off mid-sequence.  If it doesn't, my initial problem likely was a battery issue.  Who knows?

@dlee3050 wrote:

I used the timelapse movie mode.

Re: powering up the camera, I'm not sure what you mean.  I bought the adaptor to use with one of those "dummy batteries".

If the battery power "was still pretty high" when the camera shut itself off, then battery power might not be the problem. 

Do you think it is necessary to keep the camera turned on for hours and hours at a time?  Do you have it set to never go to sleep?  Maybe, it needs to take a rest between shots.

As far as saving the images goes, it may not save the time lapse movie until the sequence is complete.  I would have thought that it would have saved the individual frames as each was captured.  But, maybe not.  Maybe it keeps adding a frame to a video file inside of its' internal memory.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I guess I am not sure how you would do a movie timelapse without leaving it on.  I set it to shoot a pic at 60 sec intervals.  How could you turn it off if it is going off every 60 secs?

Don't turn it off, let it go to sleep and see if it wakes up to take the next image.

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi dlee3050,

Thanks for checking in with us!

You mentioned that you are shooting a snow storm indoors. I'm assuming that it is warm enough inside, but in case indoor heat isn't active, I want to mention that our camera equipment is designed to work in 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit and with a working humidity of 85% or less. In colder or more humid environments, the camera might not work properly.

Also, what time-lapse resolution and memory card are you using? If you are shooting at 8K, then that can rapidly fill up the memory card and/or cause the sensor to overheat after prolonged shooting sessions. Try doing tests at 4K resolution or with faster memory cards to see if that makes a difference.

It might also help to get the latest firmware version for the camera, since that minimizes the chances that the camera will overheat.

You can find the latest firmware update for your camera by going to www.canoneos.com.

On the new page that loads, click on DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS link on the top right. Enter your camera model in the prompt, select it from the options that load under the box, and then press the GET DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS button.

Click the FIRMWARE heading, select the firmware appropriate for your operating system, then follow the on-screen instructions for downloading.

Thanks for the info.  My drivers and firmware are up to date.

Denver is very dry and humidity is way less than 85%.  Indoor temp 68 degrees.

I was shooting 4k and using a 128gb Sandisk extreme pro (170mb/s, U3, class 10).

Really not sure what went wrong.  I tried it several times that day with several different fully charged batteries and the camera would just stop shooting at random times (movie timelapse function).  As stated in my prior text, when it shut off it didnt save any of the prior footage.  A bit frustrating.  

Dave

This happens all the time with my Canon EOS R.  I use the movie mode for a 4K Timelapse and it quicks a little after 30 minutes.  I have a high end SD card, new Canon Battery that is fully charged, and the firmware has been updated.

I consider this as false advertising by Canon and they are liable.  That the route I going until somebody from Canon acknowledges the problem and fix’s this.  Time for them to reap their deception.  I have ruined a lot of Timelapse’s while on vacation because of this issue.  Relaxing for a great time Timelapse and quicks on me after 30 minutes.

Announcements