cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 focusing issues

JulesTX
Apprentice

I recently purchased an R5 and I think it will be awesome.  However, I am having problems with the focusing.  I set up back button focus and have the AF set for focusing on the eye or a field.  I am finding that if there is no eye, or it can't find it, all I see are little squares jumping all over the place.   If I set the AF to a point and try to focus it is never in the center of the viewfinder.  Am I missing something?  Also, I wanted to set up the * button for regular scene focusing but I can figure out how to do a second back button focus.  I really want to love this camera.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kahrtoonz
Apprentice

Hi Jules,

You might want to look at this YouTube video from Whistling Wings Photography. This YouTube was a game changer for me with bird and animal photography and Ron has taken much of the guess work and frustration of figuring out of the numerous settings as well as setting up the R5 back button focusing. I now have not 1 but 3 different buttons that are all individually customized for different scenarios! When the eye detection on my R5 can't find the birds eye, I use my second button which is set for spot focus. The R5 eye detection works great but it will struggle if there are branches surrounding the bird so having a other options can ensure a better chance of getting a clean shot. Even if you don't shoot birds or wildlife, having 3 back button options for focusing at the tip of your thumb is quite valuable.

The link below will put you to the spot in his back button set up and explanation. I pretty much have my R5 configured to Ron's set up. 

Good Luck,😉

https://youtu.be/JFZ0J27zSI4?t=2461

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This video might help.

Professional Autofocus Setup for the Canon R5 (and R6) - eye AF + back button AF - YouTube

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@JulesTX wrote:

"I recently purchased an R5 and I think it will be awesome.  However, I am having problems with the focusing.  I set up back button focus and have the AF set for focusing on the eye or a field.  I am finding that if there is no eye, or it can't find it, all I see are little squares jumping all over the place.   If I set the AF to a point and try to focus it is never in the center of the viewfinder.  Am I missing something?  Also, I wanted to set up the * button for regular scene focusing but I can figure out how to do a second back button focus.  I really want to love this camera.  Any suggestions will be appreciated."

The video that John posted a link to should answer most of your questions. The focus point not being in the center is probably from you having touch focus enabled. Once you touch the screen with the image on the rear LCD, the focus point will shift to where you touched it and stay there. To get it back to center, toggle the info button to get a live view on the rear LCD, if you aren't already there. Look in the upper right of the screen and you will see the "Q" touch command and just to its left a hook with an arrowhead pointing to a small square. Just tap that and  it will reset your focus point.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

kahrtoonz
Apprentice

Hi Jules,

You might want to look at this YouTube video from Whistling Wings Photography. This YouTube was a game changer for me with bird and animal photography and Ron has taken much of the guess work and frustration of figuring out of the numerous settings as well as setting up the R5 back button focusing. I now have not 1 but 3 different buttons that are all individually customized for different scenarios! When the eye detection on my R5 can't find the birds eye, I use my second button which is set for spot focus. The R5 eye detection works great but it will struggle if there are branches surrounding the bird so having a other options can ensure a better chance of getting a clean shot. Even if you don't shoot birds or wildlife, having 3 back button options for focusing at the tip of your thumb is quite valuable.

The link below will put you to the spot in his back button set up and explanation. I pretty much have my R5 configured to Ron's set up. 

Good Luck,😉

https://youtu.be/JFZ0J27zSI4?t=2461

That was awesome!  Thank you.  It was really helpful because he went slow and allowed me to find the settings on my camera.  I'm all set up now.

JulesTX
Apprentice

I have two back buttons set up for focusing thanks to the above mentioned video.  One is set to find the eye.  The other I wanted set up for everything else (e.g., flowers, scenery) and I wanted to have a single point focus.  However, when I use that button I don't see the single point.  Instead I see lots of squares bouncing around and mostly on the edges of the frame.  It is likely I did something wrong.  Can anyone suggest a solution?  I hate it when my camera is smarter than me!

Announcements