cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 confirm focus beep

Petertoo
Apprentice

With an RF lens on my R5 I get a confirming focus beep if I focus the lens manually, however I do not get a confirming focus beep when using a non-RF lens such as a TS-E lens on my R5 via an adapter. Is there a way of getting a confirming focus bleep with a non-RF lens using an adapter?

11 REPLIES 11

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings Petertoo,

Check to see if the focus guide shows up when using a standard EF lens that is not a tilt-shift lens since the EOS R5 should provide similar functionality with a standard EF lens compared to an RF lens. This will ensure the camera is functioning correctly. The guide frame when focusing manually is not displayed correctly during shifting or tilting of TS-E lenses which may prevent the camera from providing the audible tone when a subject is in focus.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using a Canon mount adapter?

Make sure the metering and AF system are active.  I would set up BBF.  Use it while focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If I mount an EF autofocus lens like the 135 F2 with a canon ring adapter on the R5, with the lens on autofocus, the camera set to AV and spot autofocus and press the back button, a small green square appears in the centre of the circle and there is a quiet bleep as the system focuses. If I set the lens to manual focus, hold down the back button and adjust the lens to pass through focus there is no small green square and no bleep. 

That is normal.  The beep and green square display is to tell you that the lens has achieved autofocus.  If you are doing the focusing manually, gaining focus is completely your responsibility so you are not going to get a beep.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I get a bleep from a manual focus lens on my 5D3 as I achieve focus, which can be quite useful, and thought I would get the same from the R5, but it appears not.

You might want to look the section of MF and MF Peaking in the Advanced User Guide, P420-422.  This highlights with a selected colour the exact elements of your image that are in focus. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, I looked through the manual and David Busch's book on the R5/R6 for information on getting the bleep working on the TS-E 17mm but without success, which is why I asked here. I was trying to produce a long panorama on Saturday of both the old and new Coventry cathedrals for an AV and eventually gave up using the R5 and switched back to my 5D3. Anyway, thank you for your help. I will just have to carefully go through the slow manual focusing process for each image in a panorama using the R5 or carry on using the 5D3.

I capture pano shots quite often.  You really should not have to refocus for each panoramic capture, not unless you are focus stacking for increased DoF with a telephoto lens.

@Petertoo wrote:

I get a bleep from a manual focus lens on my 5D3 as I achieve focus, which can be quite useful, and thought I would get the same from the R5, but it appears not.

I agree with you, Petertoo.  It should give you a focus confirmation beep.

All Canon DSLRs that I have used will beep with an AF lens that is set to manual focus when the camera is set to One Shot AF.  You say that your R5 does emits a confirmation beep with RF glass, but not with the adapted EF glass.  

That sounds like a genuine issue that probably needs correction, especially if you are using the Canon mount adapter and EF glass released since 2009.

Announcements