cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

I  posted to you about this but don't see a response.  What firmware version is your camera set to please?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I do not see the issue anymore. It appears that an update fixed the problem. When it goes to sleep it no longer forgets my settings. But when I turn it off it reloads the C1 settings again, which is how I think it should work. My firmware is 1.5.2

@r1ch wrote:

"For example, I have C1 set to capture wildlife" I use C1 for birds in flight and I don't want those settings ever overridden.

If I am shooting snowy egrets only, I want to lower the exposure for 1 stop to not blow out highlights. I want that temporary change to stay in the camera as long as I don't turn off the power button. Once I turn off the power but  it loads the standard C1 for birds in flight settings and forgets my temp settings. It does not remember snowy egret 1 stop lower exposure.

As it is now, if the camera goes to sleep, it will forget my temp settings and load C1. Don't change my temp setting ever unless I change modes to Av or C2 and back or I turn the camera on and off.

1. configure the camera how you want; all settings and Cx modes. Set the update custom settings to disable.

2. save those settings to your card. 

3. on camera, change the update custom settings to enable. Then, any changes you make during the session will be saved to the Cx you are using.

4. when you are finished reload the camera settings. You are back to baseline with original Cx settings. 

5. change update custom settings to enable.

You will be able to retain changes during a shooting session while retaining your baseline settings.

This will only work for cameras that allow camera settings to be written to the card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

This is a workaround that has never occurred to me. It is a workaround and it is a inconvenient but I may give this a try and see how long I go before formatting my card and losing the ability to reload my settings. 🙂

@r1ch wrote:

You miss the point. I turn the camera on. Choose C1, Yes I want the camera to load the camera settings. If I turn the camera off and turn it on and C1 was originally chosen I want it to reload the C1 settings. If I make a change to the C1 setting like 1 stop less exposure compensation, I want it to remember that setting change without storing it to C1. If it goes to sleep or turns itself off, it stil remembers 1 less stop exposure compensation unless. I turn the power button off, When turned on it reloads the original C1 settings. If I change it from C1 to C2 back to C1, i want it to reload the original C1 settings. If I load C1 setting change the exposure compensation and then talk to the person I am taking a picture of and the camera goes to sleep after 5 mins (it turns itself off). I do not want to reload my change to the exposure compensation. It is like the camera has a mind of its own and changes the setting when it feels like it. Not when I want it too. In the middle of a shoot no camera on the planet should change it's own settings by itself. Only if you tell it to. That is plain stupid.

Doesn't this do what you want?

Screenshot 2022-06-04 162624.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No John, this does not do what I want. I don't want the setting updated. I want C1 to always be the same when I turn the camera off, change from TV or C2 to C1. I don't want C1 updated automatically.

@r1ch wrote:

No John, this does not do what I want. I don't want the setting updated. I want C1 to always be the same when I turn the camera off, change from TV or C2 to C1. I don't want C1 updated automatically.

1. configure the camera how you want; all settings and Cx modes. Set the update custom settings to disable.

2. save those settings to your card. 

3. on camera, change the update custom settings to enable. Then, any changes you make during the session will be saved to the Cx you are using.

4. when you are finished reload the camera settings. You are back to baseline with original Cx settings. 

5. change update custom settings to enable.

You will be able to retain changes during a shooting session while retaining your baseline settings.

This will only work for cameras that allow camera settings to be written to the card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

pardon me, but as I said, I am novice to canon, so please explain, how not to use a custom mode if the camera will retain the settings that way?

I especially configured C1 for birds in flight and you have to do a number of settings to the AF configuration to be quick and to program back button focus on af-on, * and AF-point in 3 different flavors, to do what I need in different situations. for the rest you want to be working fully manual. exposure time has to be 1/1000 or faster, aperture is usually open as you never have enough light for the high shutterspeeds that you need and ISO should be as low as possible to reduce noise but as high as required to get the right shutterspeed as otherwise you get motion blur. now I am sitting in the hide, there is sun, the birds are quick, I rise iso to 1600 an shuttertime to 1/4000 and I wait for the birds to show up, they stop by my hide about every 20 minutes, while I wait the timer runs out and the cam goes to powersave, the birds show up, I touch a button, the settings are gone. except if I enable auto update, but in that case, the stored settings are modified and next time on a different location, C1 comes with the settings of the previous day with bright sun rather than the average basic setting that I programmed to C1 and that should stay there as they are a good point of start for any situation(reason why auto update needs to be off) C2 will be configured for people, c3 for landscape, so I can have a quick access to my preferred setting for the actual subject. after I recall of of the custom modes, these should be loaded as defaults an then I adapt those settings to the actual situation, these changes should be retained also when the camera goes to powersave (or even if I turn it of) when I change subject or if the location is that much different that I better start of with my average people settings from C2 I load C2 again, but the camera should not decide to do so for me (for example if I have to turn it of to change a battery) 

I wonder if I am beginning to see the light (so to speak 😋) from that massive continuous dump of information (paragraph breaks help for digestion!) 🙂 

As I understand it: you are recording a Custom setting of a Manual mode, and that includes a specific shutter speed, a specific aperture and you set the ISO to auto.  When you adjust the shutter speed and let the camera go back to 'sleep' the camera defaults to the original shutter speed.  The exposure compensation does not work to retain those setting in this situation.  Is that a summary of the situation?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

lets simplify the request to the max. when the camera returns from power saving or an off/on, all the settings should remain as they were before the power event. If I want to change something, i'll do it. if I want a specific configuration, I will load the according custom settings. Thats it. this works on Fuji, Panasonic, Sony and Nikon. the R5 is the first camera that changes settings on its own and this is annoying and I cannot see any circumstance where the actual behavior would be of any advantage, so why does canon do so?

Announcements