cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with getting histogram to display while shooting

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello Experts,

I have a Canon 5Ds and would like to know how to enable the Histogram while shooting.

I've searched the internet as well as the manual, strangely enough, the only information available is for playback.

Instruction to enable this feature would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expo. Simulation Enable is the default. It was probably reset when you reset camera settings.

Annotation 2020-02-16 141808.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you mean before you take the shot only possible in LiveView. See page 258 of instruction manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Thank you for getting back to me on my questions.

That is correct, I would like to view the histogram before I take the photo, and yes I am doing this via Live View. Strangely, I clicked on the INFO button but it does not show the histogram. Each time I pressed the button, different data is displayed but not the histogram

Wondering if I have to do a full reset of the camera, return everything back to factory settings?

Thanks,

Lim

Hi Lim.

On my 1D X the histogram is enabled in LiveView when I enable Exposure Simulation in the menus. See if there is a setting for that on your camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Just to add, I do recall seeing the histogram displayed before, not sure what happened? FYI I am using Firmware version 1.1.3. That's the only change I can think of that might be impacting or preventing the histogram from showing. Thanks

More info. Under the Wrench menu, 3rd option, in the INFO Button Display options menu, I see the following options:

1. Display camera settings

2. Electronic level

3. Quick Control Screen

4. Custom Quick Control Screen.

I do not see an option to display the histogram. I am this is because of the firmware 11.3. 

Okay, it appears that resetting the camera settings cleared whatever got stuck and I am now seeing this histogram but the electronic level is missing URG! Seems like software bug!

Expo. Simulation Enable is the default. It was probably reset when you reset camera settings.

Annotation 2020-02-16 141808.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John, thank you for the info. I can confirm that I had face tracking on which prevented the electronic level disabled when using live view.

Many thanks!

Tim
Authority

limvo05, 

On the camera is a button marked <INFO>.  By pressing this button while in camera mode, you change the display on the back LCD panel.  The more often you press the <INFO> button the information displayed on the LCD panel will change. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements