cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best camera for High School and College Softball?

Ckopsidas
Apprentice

I’m a weekend warrior who’s been photographing my daughter playing competitive travel softball for several years now. I’m looking for recommendations for an upgrade from my Canon 60D. It just can’t keep up with the pace of play/action and the technology is lagging compared to the cameras of today. Budget is under $2,500 preferably as I’d like to invest in some lenses too. I’m by no means an advanced photographer but am looking to improve and learn even more as I upgrade!! 

Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What lenses do you currently have please list the full name of them. Do you want to stick with a DSLR camera or move to mirrorless. EOS R series mirrorless cameras are the future. These cameras use a different lens mount called the RF Mount. In order to use your existing EF or EF-S lenses you will need a mount adapter. Canon sells 3 different EF-RF Mount adapters for this reason. Do you want to stay with APS-C or move to Full Frame. If you currently own any Full Frame EF lenses or looking to buy new Full Frame RF lenses. If you want to go mirrorless APS-C camera look into the EOS R7. For Full Frame mirrorless look into the original EOS R6 or the EOS R8. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You may want to first invest in a lens.  e.g. EF 70-200 f/2.8L III.  Depending upon what lens you already have, this may provide further reach to various players on the field.  And its aperature of f/2.8 will definitely be much better than any kit lens.  So with nighttime games, this can really help.   It also has image stabilization.   Price of this at B&H Photo (one of Canon's authorized resellers) is currently $2,000.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Another option, if you don't need to deal with lower-light situations is the following:

• EOS R10 (body only) plus RF 70-200 f/4 L IS lens (around $2,500 total)

You'd need an EF-RF adapter to use your existing EF or EF-S lenses ($100).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements