Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 MKII - Color shift in pictures

R0ma_N0
Apprentice

InCollage_20220729_184004510.jpg

 Hi everyone,

During a recent shoot, I noticed a color shift in my pictures (see example). Despite doing a color balance and keeping the same settings, I noticed that when i take several single shots of the same moment in a row, the image turns greenish. 

Im using the 50mm 1.8 with no flash, those shots were taken at 1/250, f2, ISO 800.

Any ideas ? 

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What were the lighting conditions? Possible it was under flourescent due to the green tint.  Were different lights on/off throughout the shoot?   If you did a custom white balance, but then the lighting conditions changed, you'd have to re-do the custom white balance.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, the lighting was actually fluorescent, and it would make sense.

Is there a workaround to ensure correct color, or is the best method to continue shooting multiple shots and select the correct ones ? 

For the most accurate color, you'll want to either do a custom white balance or dial in an exact Kelvin value and deal with the tint offsets.  But will need to do that whenever lighting conditions change.

Also, forgot to mention earlier, do capture in RAW.  While getting things in camera is great to do, in case things get messed up, since color balance is not baked into RAW images (like they are with JPEG), you can adjust in post.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I think rs-eos has put you on th right track with his reply. Certain LED lamps can also cause color-shift problems under the same conditions. A/C powered LED lamps also have a "flicker" like flourescent bulbs. The color-shift problem occurs at higher shutter speeds. Try some test shots at 1/60 or 1/30 second or slower with the same lighting and see if you still have the same problem.

I guess i will continue to manually white balance, shoot RAW for the future important shoots and try to lower rhe shutter speed (i usually shoot around 1/250 for sharp portraits).

Thanks for the quick help  ! 👍

And l

Announcements