cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R - images appearing dull after uploading to iPhoto

megansegale
Contributor

Hello,

I recently switched from a 6D mark II camera to the mirrorless r camera. I have enjoyed using the canon r but the pictures I take appear dull and faded once I upload them to iPhoto. I never had a problem with image quality or richness of color with my old camera. I am so frustrated. I figured the r was a better camera and I am really feeling like I should go back to dslr and this point because I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. All of my camera settings are fine- it's something not the editing side. Can someone help!? 

I've included an untouched photo that I took today - so bland. ew. 106A7382.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have the camera set for the adobeRGB colorspace?

Raw or JPEG? Does it happen to the other?

I do have the camera in adobe RGD and in raw. Its also is auto white balance, but I am not getting rich color. What am I missing?

Megansegale,

When I was first learning, I was using AWB. I was frustrated because my photos were looking washed out or whited out.

When I switched to one of the presets, my photos became much richer in color. I found that if you want to emphasize the cooler blues and yellows, use Daylight. If you want to emphasize the warmer greens and reds, use Cloudy.

On my T8i, Daylight is 5200 K, and Cloudy is 6000K. I do a out 90% of my shooting around 5400K.

For this particular shot, I would meter off the skin tone of the little boys face, or the green grass. If the white wall gets washed out, you haven't lost much. It really doesn't add much to the picture anyway. It's the boy and his balloons that count.

Steve Thomas

You don't want AdobeRGB unless your workflow supports it, which it obviously doesn't. You want sRGB.

The color space won't matter for RAW of course, but agreed that using sRGB for JPEG would be preferable since the receipients of any shared JPEG images would most likely be expecting sRGB.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Are you sure? It might change the original rendering intent. It is not a permanent change, but it could render the colors dull.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

This particular image has an incorrect white balance.  If you've captured it in RAW, you can adjust in post to set it to a correct value.  If you captured in JPEG, it will be more difficult.

Do capture in RAW going forward if you haven't already been doing that.  White balance isn't baked into RAW like it is for JPEG.  That allows you to set the white balance to any value later on.   Still, it's good to get close in camera by either using Auto White Balance (AWB), or one of the presets to match the current scene.

--
Ricky

I appreciate your help. I noticed I wasn't shooing in AWB. So I have changed that now and it made a difference, however, still missing the richness of color. Can you tell me what picture setting you set your camera to? Neutral, standard, portrait... etc? and whichever one you like in particular, what are the specific settings? 

I personally use a picture style of "Faithful".

In terms of colors, I mostly use the camera presets or a specific Kelvin value.  For cases where I need the most accurate colors in the final image, I'll take a photo of a color chart.   If I end up moving to a different location, or lighting changes, I'll take anoother photo of a color chart.

All captured photos are imported into Adobe Lightroom where lens corrections are applied.  I'll then edit my favorites in either Lightroom or if warranted, Photoshop.   And, for those where I worked with a color chart, I'll create appropriate presets to apply to those images associated with the color chart image.

Regarding the lack of richness in color... it is probably due to what Waddizle mentioned earlier; overexposure.  I estimate this particular photo of yours being between 1/2 to a full stop overexposed.

--
Ricky

Announcements